1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Mini Z and 19hp Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blair smock, Jun 25, 2004.

1. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Hi guys I guess I am looking for some reassurance here, I was ready to plop down the cash for a mini Z today (19hp Kaw w/ 52 in Deck) I really liked the machine. But for some reason the 19 hp Engine seems like it is to small. This is for commercial use, my first Z, And I have cut a lot of grass to get to this point. For 500.00 more and about another two months worth of cutting I could afford the 23 Kawasaki with the same size deck. It is going to be along time before I can upgrade. I have some hills and quite a few banks to cut. I will be mulching all the time. ANY input appreciated, should I wait or will the 19 be the better way to go? Thanks guys!
  2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

finacing is an option....
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I bought one with the 19 horsepower kawasaki and the 52" cut. I love it. I havent seen grass yet that made it slow down or bog down any at all. I had my reservations at first as well, but it turned out great.
  4. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I appreciate the advise and I could finance, but I am in a really tight monthly budget and am working to be full time in the Lc biz starting nxt spring. the money I made so far is going back into the biz so I can start with a clean sleight. HAve the truck new 6x12 trailer, hitch, cub cadet 18hp and 21 comercial Snapper, weed eater brand wead eater and edger. Not much but All mine!!!
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Just me , but I'd want a few more hp than 19. But, my belief is you can't have too much power!! You can get that mower with 23, 24 and I think 25hp. ( not sure @ 25). Our church has a Land pride 52" / with 24hp honda ( identical almost to mini z, different paint etc.) and it has no problems.
  6. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Get the 23. I have a Mini with a 19/44. Although I never had a problem with cutting high grass, I can't run doubles. There just isn't enough power there. You'll always be second guessing yourself if you don't.

I'm almost ready to trade up to a Super......