1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Mini Z clutch problems

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by hunter-1967, Mar 31, 2013.

1. hunter-1967

hunter-1967 LawnSite Member

Hustler Mini Z 23 hp. Kawasaki
    My neighbor pulled my clutch and replaced seal in my 23hp kawasaki engine. When he put it back on he did something wrong. The clutch wiring plug broke but when I push it down it works. He did this while I was at work. Not sure how to replace the clutch now. Put it back on and mowed for about 20 min. Then it wouldnt engauge the blades. Looked under there and the clutch was spun around and wires were pulled out. What did I do wrong? The clutch plates are also scared. Can I just sand them off?

Thanks for the help!

2. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

Ouch, sounds like you did not anchor the clutch.

Hopefully there was little damage to the wiring and you can repair.

Brian O

3. hunter-1967

Can you replace plug on the clutch?

4. hustlermidwest

Yes, pending on the damage. I call that section the pig tail, part number 791251.
    Start there but check your anchor. On our website hustlerturf.com on the bottom of the page there is a link to our manuals. It wouldn't hurt for you to download them prior to pulling the PTO switch again.

Brian O

5. hunter-1967

Mine does not have a short pig tail. It just has a plug that looks like it is made in the clutch housing. The main wire plugs directly into it. Can I replace this kind of a plug?

6. hustlermidwest

We do not offer a repair kit for that part of the clutch. If the wires are still attached and you are able secure the harness wires to it the clutch should work. Possibly a Radio Shack or another electronic outlet may have something to aid you. If the wires are pulled out of the clutch you might be in trouble and unable to repair.

Brian O

7. hunter-1967

Thank you Brian
    David