1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hustler- mini z or fastrack

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BanvilleLawnCare, Nov 5, 2007.

1. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have gotten quotes from both of my hustler dealers and have found the best prices. The mower will be used to mow ten 1/4- 1/3 acre lawns over the course of the next three seasons. I was originally looking only at the 42'' mini fastrack but I called the other hustler dealer and they gave me some very attractive offers on the following hustler mowers. Which would you choose?

Mini Fastrack 42''
    16hp honda

Fastrack 44''
    18hp honda

Mini-z 36'' (no 42'')
    17hp kawasaki

I am leaning towards the fastrack because it has the larger 44'' deck, the same hydros (zt-2800) as the mini-z, and a honda engine which I believe is commercial. But I would really appreciate some professional opinions. Thanks.
  2. BanvilleLawnCare

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I am demoing the 44'' fastrack tomorrow so I need some opinions asap!
  3. lawnboyoung

lawnboyoung LawnSite Member

last summer i worked for a guy that owned both.both great mowwers but get the mini z with a kaw its more powerful u wont be sorry.
  4. BanvilleLawnCare

The mini-z has 17hp, the fastrack has 18hp. What else did you like better about the mini-z? Also, I cannot get a mini-z with the 42'' deck.
  5. BanvilleLawnCare

Demoed both mowers today and both were great. However, after measuring the overall width of the fastrak I do not think that it will fit through my gates very well. I think that for me the 36'' mini-z is the best option. I loved tha kawasaki engine with the canister air filter and the heavier duty pumps (my mistake the pumps are different). Plus the larger tires will be easier on the turf. Will probably sign the contract tomorrow.
  6. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

42" Fastrak and 42" Mini-Z. One has the 17 Kohler and the Z has the 19 Kaw....I think I have the horsepower right.

Actually the tires on my Z are worse on the turf than the small fastrak. But they both will cut for a long, long time.

The Z is better though. But I have a few hundred hours on my fastrak and it starts up and cuts every time.

42" is about the standard gate around here for new fences. I slip in w/ an inch or two to spare....I probably wouldn't get in most of them w/ a 44". I just got lucky and got the 42"....I couldn't afford anything more expensive at first. They are both good...and I don't notice one bit of difference between the Kohler and Kaw....pumps yes.