Hustler Mini Z or Scag Tiger Cub?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ahlab, Apr 12, 2005.

1. ahlab

ahlab LawnSite Member
    from OK

Is one better than the other?

Mini--44 inch, 19 HP Kawasaki $5899
    Cub--48 inch, 19 HP Kawasaki $5999

I'm not currently in the business but I have about 2 acres at my home to mow and I also mow my parents 2 lawns and my grandparents lawn. Probably about 8 acres total that I mow 1-2 times per week.
    I'm tired of having junk equipment that breaks down all the time and I think I have my choice narrowed down to these two units.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Rob

2. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

Hello Rob,

My 2 cents is on the Tiger Cub!

Good luck...Joe :cool2:

3. ahlab

ahlab LawnSite Member
    from OK

Thanks for the quick reply--is there an obvious benefit or is it just your personal preference?

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Hustler makes a great mower but i'd probibly get the Scag for $100 more because of the larger deck.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have the tiger cub and I think its a great mower, I dont have any exp with hustler, but people that have them like them. How are the dealers, which dealer seems better?

6. ahlab

ahlab LawnSite Member
    from OK

The Hustler dealer is local and seems friendly enough but they are always way understaffed and you have to stand around for a while before there is anyone available to help out. The nearest Scag dealer is about 40 miles aways but his pricing is higher than most. The dealer I got the quote from was about 75 miles away--considering I won't be using the machine all that much I should not have a lot of cause to be visiting the dealer (I hope).

7. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

scag the best. get the cub you cant go wrong.

8. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" tiger cub with the 24 hp honda. It's getting more hours on it than my 60" exmark lazer because its quicker on the smaller props. I'm using it in a lot of places that I used to use the walker, and using the Lazer where it has room to run. I haven't run the mini z but I have heard the shallower deck has a problem with thick wet grass. I highly recommend the tiger cub.

9. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Bigger deck, I would also get the scag. I have the 52 cub and its awesome.

10. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Demo 'em, you'll soon own a Hustler !!!