Hustler mini z wont start

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by mteamer, Jun 4, 2005.

1. mteamer

mteamer LawnSite Member

Hi. I have a problem. I have a 2 Hustler mowers. First of all I would like to say that I love them both. However I'm having problems with one of them, and I need some help from someone here. The Problem is my mini z. This is a 2003 Model Mini Z with 19 hp Kawasaki engine. Mower has 267 hours on it. Early this week while mowing I smelt something that had a burning smell, but could not figure were it was coming from. I noticed some dry grass under the mower so I used the backpac blower to remove it. THursday when I went to start the mower it would not start, it turned over very slow. I thought maybe it was the battery so I hooked the charger to it, and came back several hours later. The mower turned slowly, but still would not start. I tried a few more times, and it finally started turning over faster and it started. I thought great, must be the battery. I dove it around the block a few times thinking it would charge the battery. I shut it off and it started right back up. Mower worked fine the rest of the day Thursday. I didnot use it Friday, and today (Sat) I went to start it to cut the lawn, and it wont start. Went to Hustler dealer and bought a new battery, installed it, and nothing!! Any ideas?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sounds like it could be a starter problem.
    When did you buy it in 2003? it may still be under warranty, the Kawasaki warranty is 2 years.
    I would consult your dealer to find out.
    Any odd noises once it starts and is running?

Pj

3. mteamer

mteamer LawnSite Member

Found Problem. It was idle pulley. Ordered part waiting to arrive. Thanks

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good to know.
    Let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the future.

Pj