1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hustler mower starting issue.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by abospaum, Apr 20, 2012.

1. abospaum

abospaum LawnSite Member

I have a 7 year old Hustler Fastrak with 20hp Honda engine. It runs well once it is started but even though I have a brand new battery it will only start with the added boost of a jump from my car.

I'm not sure if my brand new battery isn't charging sufficient such as if the alternator is not working right or if it has something to do with the battery leads and is simply bypassed by my putting on jumper cables.

Normally if I try to start the engine the engine light goes on (the little red light by the key) but there isn't any kind of sound. However if I put the jumper cables on it starts immediately. It is really kind of a pain in the ass and not something that my wife would ever do if the lawn needs mowed while I'm travelling out of town.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Check the grounds first and clean them,Will it start without any boost if you jump it at solenoid ?

3. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Check for dirty/loose connection's.