Hustler mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawnslawns, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Shawnslawns

Shawnslawns LawnSite Member

I went and looked at a hustler excel 275 today that a man is wanting to sale. It has a 18 horse kohler engine. No hour meter on it so and he didn't know how many hours it had on it. He bought it from some housing authority in tennessee. He has had it for 5 years. It is the big mower with one big wheel in the very back and 2 drive tires and the 2 wheels on the deck. It is hydrostatic and the deck is out in front of the mower. He wants 1200.00 for the mower. He says it is an 1989 model. Pretty good looking mower. 72 in cut. Has some dents and dings here and there but that is to be expected. He started it up and mowed part of his yard with it. Does this sound like a good deal? What do you guys think? Thanks!

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'd probibly offer him $900-$1000 for it if its in pretty good shape. I wouldn't go any higher than that.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

18Hp is not nearly enough engine for a 72" deck. It will not cut well in anything but the lightest mowing conditions. That engine has had a hard life running that big deck. I would pass on it.

4. Shawnslawns

Shawnslawns LawnSite Member

I talked to a guy at hustler. He said that all they put on those mowers were 23 horse kohlers. Maybe the owner has his wires crossed. I will have to check it out tomorrow. Any of you guys ever use this kind of mower?

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah that doesn't sound right. It would have to be either a 2 cyl. continental motor, or a big kohler. I also would not give him over $1K for it. :)

6. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

I would pass...

Not enough engine for a 72" deck!

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

16 Years old and had been owned and used by a housing authority also? I'd pass big time!

8. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

Let's see a pic of this beast