1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler mowers good---bad what do you think?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blaster822, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Blaster822

Blaster822 LawnSite Member

I was just worndering what kinds of things you guys have to say about Hustler? Im looking at one hustler to buy; but i want to hear what you have to say?

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I think they are right up there with Exmark. Personally, I like them very well and would like to buy one myself but I don't mow enough yards to justify it. They are built as good as any of the mowers out there and they have a great cut quality from what I have heard and they are also quite a bit cheaper than Exmark.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Excellent company and machinery. You will not go wrong with them.
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have had my Hustler Z for year now and I love it. Very tough mower and the quality of cut is just as good as Exmark in my opinion. I've got the 52inch deck with a 23 hp Kawasaki. I do wish that I would have got a little more horsepower. My next one will probably have the same size deck with at least 27 HP.

When I bought mine last year I paid $6800 plus tax. That was about $600 less than a comparable Exmark with the same deck size and engine.
  5. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

i have a super z and its a good mower. The only thing I don't like is if I have to back up on a hill from a stop. Depending how steep you can spin the tires. I think this could be true for most ztr's when they back up. I have the 27hp and wouldn't want any less. I wish I could have a light kit on it but they dont' recommend it because they have fans to cool the hydro's that run.
  6. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would not buy a real old hustler because of improvements they have made in the last few years. Hustler quality good but always have felt that replacement parts were just a little pricey. What model are you looking at?
  7. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

We have a Mini Z (24HP Honda / 52") and a SuperZ (25Kaw / 60") Deck and have had great success with both. LOVE the mini Z.... beautiful cut and smooooooth handling. SuperZ is quick and efficient. Great machines!
  8. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 25/54 super walk-behind and wouldn’t trade it for any other brand out there. When I was looking for a new mower I looked at all the brands, I picked the Hustler because of their H-bar, 25-horse power engine. Their walk-behinds are very well built and easy to service. Not to mention I got a better price on the Hustler than Scag or Exmark with smaller engines. I almost bought a Z at the same time that I purchased my walk-behind but the Super W-B eliminated that need. Another reason that helped me choose Hustler is they have a forum on this site, when you need any help from Hustler you can get it here! Their support is second to none in my books. They build great machines with great support at a fair price! I haven’t ever thought that I may have made the wrong decision.
  9. Blaster822

Blaster822 LawnSite Member

Ok here it is im looking at a Grasshopper and a Super Mini Z

Grasshopper 227 27hp kohler 52" $7,899
    223 23hp kohler 52" $7,099
    220 2hp kohler 52" $6,599

Super Mini Z 25hp kaw 52" $7,495

Does anyone have pictures of the mowers in action?

What are the pro's and con's?

What do you like about it?

What problems have you had with it and how fast was it fixed?

Can you really go 13mph and cut grass or what speed is good to cut at

Im really look at the super mini z

Last but not lesst do you know if the hustler for 2005 has a 18in blade or is it still 17 3\8

I did use the search button first but all of the post where old i did read all most all of them thanks again
  10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We love out Hustler machines.