1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hustler mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrook Lawn, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Westbrook Lawn

Westbrook Lawn LawnSite Member

Does any one know if hustler mowers are as good as they are made out to be
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Go to the Hustler forum. They have some very strong points. Fast, simple, heavy built, comfortable, etc. Nothing wrong with them. A few of us have had problems cutting Northern type grasses or weeds but all and all a great mower. Super Z for flat area's but I would recommend the regular z if you have a lot of steep area's. Very popular in the South East where they do so well on the Southern grasses.
  3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Mine has been perfect in every respect. I am in the southern piedmont of NC and cut about 12 acres yesterday. I had just put a new set of fusion blades on the 66" XR-7 and I cut more than half the time as fast as she would run and it did a perfect job, nothing left anywhere. I cut one area for the first time this year and the grass was 16" tall, the 28 efi cut right through it at about 5 mph but everything is dry in our area and this makes a big difference. This mower is as tough as any mower built and the 28 efi of mine is flawless to this point at 197 hrs.
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been mowing commercially since 1989, up to 70 accts per week solo. I've owned Toros, Grasshoppers, Exmark, Husqvarna and my last 2 mowers were Hustler Super Z's. IMHO the BEST of the bunch are the Hustlers. So much so that I don't think I'd even look at another Z when it comes time to get another one.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You won't find a better built and designed ZTR.

The XR-7 deck is troublesome is certain conditions, however it is easily modified to control these deficiencies.

There are a few things I would tweak on them, but overall, they have the smallest "TLS Tweak list" of all manufacturers.
  6. mulligant

mulligant LawnSite Member

Hustler is an excellent machine. If you are going to get a Hustler I would reccoment the XR7 deck. I have an 07 and they have really made some changes since last year. This deck is sweet and works very well for me. That doesn't mean that it will work well for everybody, but it is about what you need and what fits your conditions best.
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Tell us about the changes to the deck...
  8. mulligant

I do not know exactly know what an 06 deck looked as I do not have one to compare, but I was told by the Tennessee Hustler rep that the 07 decks have all of the updates. If I am not mistaken I believe that they may have added another baffle or small change in design (not sure which one and not completly sure). In my location in East TN the deck cuts very smoothly and does not leave any stringers. It also works well in thick and wet grass with a 27hp Kohler. The deck does build up with a small bit of wet grass around the spindles and discharge chute, but I belive I took care of that with a good pressure washing job and 2 coats of slip plate. I'll have to mow some more wet grass to confirm that. Sorry I did not know more about the deck updates.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How about some pictures?
  10. mulligant

Sorry no digital camera. I might be able to get a picture cd or something but it might take a while.