Hustler or Ex-mark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AMAC, Feb 20, 2004.

1. AMAC

AMAC LawnSite Member
    from MO

Hustler or Ex-mark with the same engines? Please give me your opinions and explain why you feel the way you do. Hustler is a strong machine, but the quality of cut is in question. Exmark has an excelent quality of cut, but the power of the pumps are in question. Hustlers are also $2,000.00 cheaper, but the dealer here sucks.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Does your quality of cut matter?? i have never had any problems with the Power to the pumps:confused:
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I believe most commercial mowers are excellent. But I think you answered your question when you said that the Hustler dealer in your area is no good. I'm a firm believer in dealer support, if he sucks now, just wait till your brokedown and in a pinch. Dealer support is everything, when you make a living with your tools and equipment.
  4. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my choice of mowers. 28 efi has tons of power and I am running doubles on it and love them.

5. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Hustler Z 60" with 24hp Honda. Very happy with it as a all around performer. The dealership is great. I am tempted to try the Exmark though because of the reviews from many lawnsite members here. The dealership here for Exmark is very poor. I've been in there several times to get parts for Echo trimmers and they basically ignore you. They also sell Husky, Kubota, and Walker. Friends of mine have commented on their poor service as well. The next closest dealer is 1-1/2 hours away. So I'll probably stick with Hustler and Toro.
  6. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

First off Dealer is most important part, can't stress it enough that a machine is only as good as the dealer. Also, Pumps do matter. The bigger the better. Hustler Super Z has 21 CC with oil cooler and Exmark has Only 10 CC without oil cooler, thats over double exmarks. Going up hills and useing a bagger, you will apprectiate the bigger pumps, not to mention the longer life of them.
  7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I went with Hustler....simple is better....I don't believe one is any better than the other.....however, a strong dealer base is important....kinda like buying a Ford or Chevy. You know you can find parts and support in just about any burg in America.

Face it, you have a significant investment in your base line mower.

You can't afford down time. Trust me. Buy Hustler only if you have a dealer thats going to be around tomorrow....

x marks the spot
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Amazing how much we agonize over these details, isn't it? It's just a hunch, but with many years in the business and as a leader in sales, I'm guessing Exmark's pumps are just fine.
  9. captken

I don't think that Hustler is any better than Exmark, vise versa. That being support is most important.....I'll put it this way, you can buy parts and get service for a Ford or a Chevy in just about any burg in America.....But what if you decide to buy the upstart that represents good value and engineering....but sooner or later something breaks, and you end up going to bum f*** to get service?

You cannot afford the downtime, driving extreme distances for service.

And what if the dealer goes belly up? Competition is fierce and no one wants to take up the Hustler brand?

Your left hanging. And its not your fault.

X marks the spot!
  10. captken

The first one didn't post after 30 mins, so I resubmitted another, thanks,