Hustler or SCAG turf tiger????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jwilson32, Jul 16, 2003.

1. jwilson32

jwilson32 LawnSite Member

I have been running walkers for a while and love the cut, but i want to be a little more productive. The other day I used a Hustler 60" with a 23hp Kaw and loved it. I havnt heard much about them but decided to give them a try. It left a great cut and it ran very very smooth. Ive tried just about all of the brands. I recently demoed a SCAG turf tiger and it seemed to be comparable....What are ya'lls opinions? I can get the 23hp air cooled Hustler for about $7100 with suspension seat, or a 27hp Liquid cooled Turf Tiger for $7600. Both are 60" decks
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

My vote is for for obvious reasons.....
    As you may or may not be aware of, Hustler product are made about 85 miles from Winfield, go up I 35 to I 135 to exit 40 (Hesston), you are in Hustler country !!!
    The Hustler is a lower profile and shorter unit, this makes the Hustler excellent on hills and slopes.
    Lifetime warranty on the frame, and front edge of the deck, and 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, also lifetime on hoses and fittings against leaks !!
    No gearbox on the Hustler deck to maintain, as with the Scag.
    More fuel capacity on the Hustler, built in parking brake, less belts.
    Suspension seat is a plus also.
    There are a ton of reasons, I am sure other LS members will post more that I am missing here.

3. superman

superman LawnSite Member

In my opinion the Hustler is the way to go. I LOVE mine. I would suggest that at the leat you get the 25 hp kawi. If you can wait, wait till August and get the liquid cooled kawi they are going to sell. I think it's a 27hp. I wish I had it. I have never ran that motor, but I am one of those guys that believes you can never have to much power.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 28 hp EFI Kohler will be available in August.
    The 27 Liquid cooled is going to be available in the fall.

5. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

Yea I would definetly the Lazer, oh wait that wasnt a choice was it, well I would still go with the Lazer
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever your choice, go with a liquid cooled mower...they will always outlast an air cooled IMO.
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a new Hustler Super Mini Z 52" 25 HP this year. Cut and ride is fantastic. I have never demoed a Skag.

The few not so obvious things to compare between the mowers is

1. suspension seat. If it doesn't have adjustable spring tension under the seat you will regret it when mowing bumpy yards. You need to demo on real bumpy ground area.

2. air filter system - Hustler has the donaldson air system at least on mine (big filter setup) and is mounted above the engine area so less dust gets into the filer vs. filters mounted low to the ground. Do a search on this site for 'donaldson' to get others opinions.

3. Warranty - Hustler has a great warranty.

4. Hustler is a sponsor of Lawnsite and you get quick answers from MowerConsultant. If their is a problem with your mower they are on it right away. Read some of the Hustler forum threads and you will see what I mean.

5. Compare what is built into a mower that the other mower doesn't have.
    5a. I like Hustlers parking brake system but not sure what Scag has for parking brake.
    5a. I like the drink container holders built into one of the gas tanks.
    5b. I like the idea you don't have a toggle switch to switch from one tank to another when run out of gas on one tank like some ZTR's. Gas stays the same level amount between both tanks.

8. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

None easier to use in the industry. Simple foot pedal and drop in place pin, select the proper hole on the rail, and drop in the pin and go. There is an easy to read fractional inch scale decal located below the assembly, corresponds to the holes in the rail, just count the black dots on the decal to find the height you need. easy to change cutting heights on the fly.
  9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Capken I forgot to include that one. I am starting to take all these fantastic standard features on the Hustler for granted that I am forgetting to mention things that other ZTR's may not have as a standard feature.
  10. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

go with the HUSTLER youll never be more satisfied:D