Hustler or Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToroLandscaper, Jul 14, 2006.

1. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Which would you all prefer a 61" Scag Turf Tiger or a 60" Hustler Super Z
    Both with 27Hp Kohler
    scag-velocity deck
    Hustler XR7

AND NOW THE BIGGEST QUESTION
    Which will hold a hill better!!!

2. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

there is only one mower that has ever impressed me with the hill holding capabilities and that would be the ferris. i have tested every mower under the sun and the I.S. on the ferris wins hands down.i have driven all over hills that the exmark,hustler and scag could not even climb, and going up is not the test, going down without tearing up the turf or ending up in the lake,street or the hospital is the real test

3. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler has a lower center of gravity.

4. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't had the opportunity to run a hustler but I know that a scag sits real low and would hold a hill real well. As far as cut quality I like the XR7 a little better.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I test drove both mowers recently and went with the Hustler. I think as far as quality and build goes that's a toss up, maybe even give the edge to the Scag. As far as comfort goes the Hustler win's hands down. And when you add the flex forks the margin of comfort is even more so. I think the cut is close on both brands. I liked the Scag it just rode too rough. Price is a major factor also. I could get the Hustler for much less (about $8,000 for the Hustler) so that was a factor. Hustlers warranty and customer support was also a big factor. The only thing about the Huslter that I am getting used to is that the frame is wider than my Lazer so the deck doesn't stick out as far so I loose some trimming ability (a 66 XR7 inch would have better trimming I think). The flex forks have a little bounce too them (when you hit a bump but doesn't affect the cut) that takes a little getting used to after being on my Lazer and on the Scags witch are fairly stiff especially with the front semi-numatic tires. Both have exellent reputations on hills. You should be able to get a 66XR7 cheaper than the Scag 60". I hope this helps. I like both brands but with my rough properties I have to go with Hustler. Let me know if I can help you anymore. Free suspension seat on the Super Z. Hustler has a 12 month same as cash offer through GE credit.

6. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I have used the Scag turf tigers quite a bit and I like them, I do not like the shaft drive deck that mine had and the other Scag models do not have that scag makes. There is a advantage to a Horizotal motor set up over a vertical the orizontals are loaded on both sides of the crank and will usually go more hours before rebuild. The vertical motor arrangment like the Hustler are a way more effecient design but motor life can be shorter from what I am told. I feel the way the dealers I talked to today do you can go faster longer on rough terrain on the Super Z.

Holding a hill seems like bigger and more aggressive tires should work, it has for me. I have run into some slidding issues with Z turns on hills and felt safer on a old style great dane stander.

7. I just purchased a turf tiger with a 61" deck and a 29hp Kaw. and I'm very pleased with it.I don't think the ride is to bad and I have some very rough properties.If you get a 29hp or greater it comes standard with a suspension seat which is a must have.The cut of the velosity deck is excellent.I did not demo a hustler because of dealer being to far away so I can't comment on them.I traded in a Kubota ZD 21 for my Scag and I like the Scag way better.Kubota has got to do something with their trans. which my dealer said they are going to in 07.So I hope this helps torolandscaper I think you will be satisfied with either machine.:usflag:

8. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

What is wrong with the Kubota trans ?

9. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I own the 61" Tiger. I will put it up against anything. Up, down, or sideways on hills. I am not squeamsh with any of the hills or basin walls that I have tried. I can't say the same for other machines tried on the exact same turf.

Ferris was the worst thing I have tried on steeper inclines. Geez, even my older Tiger did better. And that's pretty sad. :laugh:

Tough to beat the price on the Hustler machine. Unless you need/want more HP, it appears to be a toss up. I wish there was a Hustler dealer closer to me. I would have liked to try them.

I had the same mindset of a horizontal crank as noted above, and I wanted more HP than Hustler offered. I also have no question that the Scag is overbuilt. If something breaks, I must have done something really stupid.

IMO, 27 hp is underpowered for a 61" deck. Definately put it through the paces before you buy either machine. Put it through hell and find the limitations. If it can't handle thick/wet/tall material, including your seperate mulching needs, what good is the speed? 10,12,or 15mph...if you can only cut at 7, or less, does it really matter? Mine can do 12mph. Most places I can't utilize that speed. The HP can handle it, but it's just too rough of a terrain. Maybe the Hustler can? I'll take Tacoma's word for it.... :)

It's a shame we're all scattered across the US. I'd love to try some of these other machines and setups. Not to mention all the experience in excess on this board. I'd be a kid in a candy store. :)

A

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah....go with the 28EFI or 30hp. The SuperZ's are power hungry!