Hustler Overheating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aussiegreg, Aug 3, 2006.

1. aussiegreg

aussiegreg LawnSite Member

G'day me old mates,

Has anyone had any problems with the Hustler Super Cat Diesel Rear Discharge overheating. There seems to be a potential problem with the rear screen clooging with clippings and then causing the mower to overheat.

Do other rear discharges have problems?.

It seems that if the radiator was on top of the motor like on the Toro Z597 then there would be no problems.

It seems strange that a manufacturer would hang a radiator out the back with a thermatic fan sucking cooling air in just where all the dust and clippings of a rear discharge would exit and then be sucked back into the radiator.

Greg

2. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

while at my hustler dealer yesterday, i was looking a Ferris 4500 28 hp cat...(he sells hustler & ferris)..i noticed that the placement of the radiator, and well as the "intake" was poorly designed to say the least......

3. aussiegreg

aussiegreg LawnSite Member

G'day and thanks for the reply,

My Hustler Super Diesel Rear Discharge overheated on a 25C degree day.
    We are about to go into a new summer and I am getting sick of the inaction on the problem.
    We had the tech's from USA here in late february and still no answers. It is a great machine when it is running but how can you live with a machine that will clog the radiator screen in 2 minutes and then overheat within 5 minutes. Then I am told that it comes down to a maintenace issue and I may need to clean the screen regularly to prevent blockages (should I stop every 5 minutes??), also to blow out the radiator core with compressed air (who carries an air compressor and at least 40litre air tank with them??).

There have been other issues that relate to a product being launched without a full and proper R & D program. However they seem to have been fixed and are no longer a problem.

As I said previously the machine requires a radiator on top of the motor away from the dust and clippings spewing out the back the same as Toro does on their z597 diesel side discharge and now new Rear Discharge model.

Hustler make great mowers with a great reputation for reliability and performance and their speed in fixing other problems is admirable but they are sticking their head in the sand with the overheating problems.

If it overheats on a 25C degree day what will happen on a 38c degree (100f degree) day ??.

If the problem is not fixed then it is a $31,000 lemon.

Greg

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

TonyR another Aussie had trouble with a rear discharge Deere overheating, from a screen getting obstructed. I remember he had hell and stress with Deere Australia over the issue.

5. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

damn greg...31000?...id be madder than i dont know what....i sure hope that hustler will do you right, cuz so far, Im lovin every minute of my hustler....so...good luck brother...i sincerely hope they find a fix, or come up with a solution...Cheers:drinkup: