Hustler- Question on cut of tall grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kmeforou, Jan 24, 2004.

1. kmeforou

kmeforou LawnSite Member

My Hustler Super Z doesn't do a good job. The unit does not disperse the grass efficently, thus causing me to have to slow the machine down to a crawl. Also, I have wind rows when the grass is high. I am talking about between one and one half and two inches. I took a demo Exmark to this same location(about three forths of an acre) and it did an excellent job. It did a super job of mowing and dispersing the new cut along with the wind rows from the previous cut of my Hustler. It also took me almost twelve minutes less time to cut with the Exmark than the Hustler. My question is: Have any of you had this same problem and if so, how did you remedy it. Unfortunately, I think it is Hustler's deck design that will not allow for large quantities of grass. I will state that it does mow very well when the yards are properly maintained, but by being a small company, I need to mow fields and lawns to stay in business.
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I think there's an Exmark salesman starting these posts.
  4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I sensed something in that subliminal message myself.

Or then again it could just be me.
  5. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Are you using a 72" or 60"? I have a 60" and it disperses the clippings very well in heavy grass. Never used the Exmark, so can't compare the 2.
  6. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

What blades are you using? is the underside of your deck clean? what is the pitch of your deck? how tall is the grass and what height are you cutting it?
  7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Any reason you didn't demo both machines before you bought Hustler. It sure seems odd you buy the Hustler and then demo the exmark "afterwards". Actually, it sounds "too" odd.
    Finally, no one said the Hustler is supposed to be a "brush hog".
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Did you demo both before buying?

ARe the blades sharp?

Are any of the blades damaged?

HAs it always mowed like that?

Is a blade on upside down? (I ask because someone had a problem before and that was the cause)
  9. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto that Pete!!

You know its funny how opinions vary! Look at this one.
  10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, my 54" cuts around 6" of grass off without any problems, either.