1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Paulk818, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Paulk818

Paulk818 LawnSite Member

I've been cutting on the side (just 4 yards)for the past 3 years. I've got my license and ins. I've been using a Troy Bilt (508 hours) residental with fair results but it's obviously time for an upgrade. I'd like to slowly grow some more yards over time. I've found a Hustler Fastrak 20Honda/52 for $5000 (it's last years model and they're ready to let it go). I do everything for the yards including bagging and leaf pick up. Some of the grass is very fine and thick and will scalp very easily as well as lawns that are mostly weeds and thick leaves. My problem is that I can not afford the bagging system right now (about $850). Would the mulching kit do the trick, what about double bladding, or a side mount grass catcher? Or is there a combination of all of the above? Finally should I save my money, not buy anything besides the mower and get the bagger at a later date?
    I've searched other threads and not found this information. Thanks for your time.