Hustler questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mlc4163, Nov 15, 2002.

1. mlc4163

mlc4163 LawnSite Member

1) Has anyone here used the Hustler with their bagging system. My concern is how do you QUICKLY unclog the hose. The system looks pretty slick but can't see unbolting the hose every 30 minutes if I get a little to aggresive.
    2) Anyone bought the SuperMini Z with the Honda engine and how do they like it. Their bikes are bullit proof but this aint no bike.

thank to all oppinions and advise
    Mike

2. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

The few times I clogged my hose I just pull off one end and pull out the grass. I don't use a clamp to hold it on.

stuff 130 (small).jpg

3. sjz60

sjz60 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I bought a Hustler Fastrack, 52" with the 20 HP Honda in it for use on my 1.5 Acre lawn. For the most part it has been great. I did have a problem where the motor simply quit on me once, and I flooded the hell out of it, but it was fine the next day, and on another day, it started running really rough and backfiring, etc..So I called my dealer and spoke to him about it. He was out within 2 days, witnessed the problem, discussed it with me, then went about checking everything out (he replaced fuel filter, installed new plugs, completely disassembled and inspected the carb, checked the choke cable, etc.). Not 100% sure what it was, but it ran great again after he left, problem solved. The recommendation made to me was to use 89 octane fuel, rather than the regular low grade I had been using. So, I switched to premium, no issues since..I run premium in my H-D and my Yamaha R1, so why not in my mower too? No biggie, it probably was the fuel filter, it has a very very fine mesh, and seemed discolored. We cut the old one apart and inspected it and it did have some crap in it. Anyway, I have been really happy with the Hustler, and I can only imagine that the full commercial versions would be as good or better than what I have. And the dealer support has been EXCELLENT (Hoober Equipment, in Middletown, DE). The mower is compact, and pretty much bulletproof.

4. sjz60

sjz60 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Oh Yes..and by the way..the trip out to my house is about an hour away from the dealer, he came out with no hassle, and did that work free of charge, and seemed happy to do it! He was also out one other time, again free of charge, to help me adjust the steering/tracking. Again, excellent support from Hoober Equipment. I can't say enough about them.

5. First of all welcome to Lawnsite.

There might be people on here who'd say if you're just mowing your own lawn you ought to be posting in the "homeowners" forum.
    But I'll say you're using commercial grade equipment, so crowd in here with the rest of us.

Congrats on your Hustler purchase. Using it on just your own lawn, it could last you a lifetime. The Honda engine it THE engine for a gas motor. They just cost a little more.

A neighbor of mine just retired from farming. They auctioned off his equipment. He had the origional tractor he started farming with. He said it brought 8 times what he gave for it. It was a John Deere "A" Of course adjusted for inflation, I don't think he made any money. He bought it sometine in the 30s. :D

Dave

6. syncom2

syncom2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Mike,
    I don't know what for audience your thread will draw here, but when I threw out the reliability issue of the (larger HP) Honda engine 3 or 4 months ago, I don't recall anyone having anything very encouraging to say 'bout them. In fact, after reading the various opinions I received here on LawnSite, I wrote to Honda, expressing my concern of their large engine line. Unfortunately, my posed questions/concerns to the Honda boys didn't seem worthy of them responding to the claims that others were saying about their product here on LawnSite. So is it safe to assume that upper end of the Honda engine line ain't worth a hoot…? Unfortunately, without hearing much of an argument to speak otherwise, I'd say it must be so. I mean, what else can one presume to be the real truth of the matter when no written nor verbal response by Honda management was directed my way to settle my concern(s)? And I must say, I didn't (and still don't…) want to believe what the others here on LawnSite were proclaiming. Not saying I don't believe 'em, 'cos that I most certainly do. Just saying that 'cos I'd rather not think the worst of a Honda product. I've always admired their smoothness… their quietness, but I don't wanna have one sittin' in my garage that is quiet 'cos it ain't a runnin'!!
    On a different note, of sorts… I have been eyeing the Super Mini Z for some time now. In the checking out period, only one dealer that I've spoken with (of four thus far…) suggested that I go with the 25 HP Kawasaki, and leave the 24 HP Honda's in their shipping crates at Hustler headquarters. Unless the nation's economy totally goes to pot within the next four or five months, I'm hoping to have a some type of a Z buggy in my garage by the first of May. If I had to order one today, I'd hafta say it'd be a Super Mini Z with that 25 HP Kaw sittin' behind me. The number two choice would be a Ferris, primarily because of local dealer support. And no, I'm not so concerned and/or worried about the dealer support with the Hustler line 'cos it's gonna run run run run run and run on some more… right Hustler guy!?! No, seriously, if some manufacturing firm comes up with something really cool and bizarre by next spring, who knows where I'll spend my dime?? That is, of course if Sears should happen to come on the green market scene with a deluxe Craftsman Z by springtime… unless it sells for pocket change, I think I'll pass on that one!
    mb
    :)

7. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If you clog up the bagger it takes 10 seconds to unclog, I hardly ever clog it up and it is more my fault (going to fast). The bagging system is the best I have ever used and I would pay double for it.

8. Turtle II

Turtle II LawnSite Member

EXCEL 25

DO you have the 60 in 72 in deck there???

Also, is that the 9 bushell bagging system thats around 3 grand???

That looks awsome.......I think I am going to go with a Hustler for my first ZTR purchase...

If you have a hustler, can you post some pros/cons about your experience??? What would you look for??? 60 vs 72 ??? I am going to target several factorys with acerage. That tells me 72in deck....I'm sure I'll have several 1/2 acer residential accounts too....Fence is not big in my area, or they are double gated for vehicle access if they do have fencing.....What are the cons of 72 in deck on res. lawn???

I know this is not the Hustler form section, but I appericate any advice from past and present hustler operators......

Turtle II
    eastern NC :cool:

9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The catcher he has is the Hustler Bac-Vac, it lists for $2455.00

We would like for you to buy the Hustler, you will be pleased.

Later
    Pj

10. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend the 60 over the 72 because with residential lawns it is a better fit and with large commercial accounts you don't lose alot with the 60. I think that the 60 cuts better and it a more balanced deck (less scalping). I would buy the 72 only if you are not using it as your primary mower because due to the size of the deck it will handicap you on a lot of smaller properties. I will be buying the 72 next year for my large commercial properties but the 60 will still be my primary mower due to its versatility. One more thing if you do buy the 72 make sure you buy it with the largest engine availible (28 horse will be out this spring so I would hold out until they arrive)