hustler "raptor"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by UNIQUElawncare, Sep 16, 2013.

1. UNIQUElawncare

UNIQUElawncare LawnSite Member

would you guys care to give some opinions? I was all geared up to purchase a Dixon mower this fall but now I'm looking at a Hustler Raptor 52" for under $3000 with a fabricated deck and other commercial features. anyone have one of these or tried one out?

2. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

The owner of Southern Indiana Equipment told me what a shrewd buyer I was for selecting the Big Dog R-748 Power Bar Mower, pretty much the same mower as a Hustler Fastrac but they are on close out because the power bar didn't sell.. The power bar is the same steering system used on the Hustler Trimstar hydro walk behind. I played with it in the parking lot and liked it fine, way better than the Ferris Evolution/Snapper s75x steering. I could probably get used to the Evolution but it was way twitchy in my test. I bought the BD for 3350 + 7% tax or 3584 out the door, about 10 % more than a Raptor. I pick it up tomorrow at 11 am.

He said he sells the Raptor for $3000 and his opinion was the Big Dog was a 5 times better mower. His exact words. I know he was blowing some smoke but Columbia is only about 150 miles from Lanesville Indiana. Service could be a problem though but I've found this dealer to be honest and the service dept competent.

3. UNIQUElawncare

150 miles isn't that far to purchase but service would be a hassle.

4. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

There were some guys that were buying Ferris Evolutions with a $1250 rebate offer. They were buying them for $3750. IMO a great mower and an awesome deal. Full commercial machine and warranty.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. UNIQUElawncare

I checked the web site out on the ferris, There is a dealer about 1/2 hour from my house. I may drive up and take a look. I like the suspension system they offer

6. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

I checked on the Ferris Evolution and the rebate wasn't good in Ky/Indiana. I'd have been all over one at $3750. My dealer has one single Snapper S75X 52" w 27hp Kawasaki and he's firm at $4995 + 7% tax. Not bad compared to the suggested retail but not as good as $3750.

7. dtc0207

dtc0207 LawnSite Member

Hate to brake the bad news to you but there is NOTHING commercial about a raptor that's like me telling a customer the fab deck tractors are commercial grade they are not
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

i agree, definately no commercial features there.. Now fastrak is another story, it does have some commercial features.... To get some commercial features on a mower, your gonna have to step up to the $4500 plus mowers...

9. UNIQUElawncare

the Dixon I was looking at was well over 7 grand so Im still good if I find something for less than 5. I was kinda hoping I could get a rebate during the fall