Hustler, Scag, and Exmark..which do I choose

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mytoofhurts, Mar 9, 2007.

1. mytoofhurts

mytoofhurts LawnSite Member

I just bought 3 acres of pasture I'm building a house on. I want a ZTR to make ease of my future mowing duties. I've heard all 3 brands are solid, but what is the deciding factor? I want a good mower that will last me a very, very long time and is maintenance free. And I definitely don't want to spend a lot of time hauling the mower back to the shop every couple of weeks. Let me know which brands some of you experienced commercial guys have had the best luck with...thanks!:confused:

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those 3. I would demo all 3 and see what you like best.

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I would demo one of each and see which you like... Of course, you will like the Hustler the best though!!!

4. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Save yourself some money and try out a wright stander. They are highly under rated.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

All mowers need maintenance......Scag Freedom is the product they say will do the job for you.

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree but get the kawi over the briggs!

Cheers
    Jeff

7. mytoofhurts

Demoed a Scag and Hustler today...Scag seemed very stiff, yet rugged and strong. Hustler very quick, easy to maneuver, and a little softer to my bones! Has anyone had any serious problems w/ the Hustler mower?...I'm only going to be mowing my yard, so I'll only put about 50 hrs per year on this thing. But I want the mower to last me a very, very long time, for I don't know if I can talk my wife into spending this kind of money on a mower again! Thanks for everyone's help.

8. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Look at your dealer support. I did and bought a Scag, but then I'm about 100miles sw of you.

Jeff

9. mytoofhurts

How's your Scag treating you?

10. Goble's Lawn Service

Goble's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

ouch....go with red....toro or exmark!