1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler, Scag, eXmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Prestige-Lawncare, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Let's see ...

• Hustler dealer - 5 minutes away
    • Scag dealer - 10 minutes away
    • eXmark dealer - 30 minutes away

Where to buy new equipment?
  2. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

They are all top notch brands In my books...they all seem very close to you...I would pick the dealer that looks like they do the best work in there shop...check out there setup...are they on coffee break all the time?? things like that. If you prefer a Exmark...I would do the drive NP.
    Also a brand new machine like the brands that are listed,should not be breaking down. Best of luck on your new purchase.
  3. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

All three top notch brands. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. If possible, try all three out in the spring. Get a feeling for what dealer is most accomodating. Find out what they will do for you if you have a problem.
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Buy the one you want. I wouldn't let that small of a drive make the difference in my choice of mowers.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i drive to a dealer that is 25 mins from me even though there is one closer. the same dealer i go to is where i have bought all of my equipment . the one time I had to take my mower in they had it back to me the same day . so to me that extra drive is worth it .
  6. Prestige-Lawncare

I'm thinking either the eXmark, or the Hustler. I have had little dealings with both of those dealers years ago, but not on a commercial mower level.

True ... a new mower should have little problems if properly maintained unless you just happen to be one of the lucky ones to get a lemon. And as it was said, all of these mowers are good mowers, each having little differences that are the "pros and cons" for any given user.

What I do like about the Hustler dealer being so close is that they are really, really close to my area of work. If a time comes when I have a breakdown in the middle of the day/week that puts me down for awhile, a loaner will keep me moving without my own equipment. Also, this dealer lives local here, and is yet another local resident/businessman who helps support our local economy.

The eXmark dealer is close, I like the mowers, they are also a long established dealer in Indianapolis. Problems with equipment can easily take 3 - 4 hours out of my day running to the shop. Sure ... it's not that much time (and an additional 30 miles round trip for me) ... but time is time ... and we all know time = money.

I'm feeling that maybe eXmark may be my mower of choice, but the availability of my Hustler dealer weighs a lot. Besides ... I'm big on supporting local business ... and they are just as local as I am to my area.

See ... I've "about" got myself convinced ... decisions - decisions - decisions!

Thanks for your replies ... keep them coming!

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I can tell you from experience with these brands you need to wait and demo. And demo again in the worst possible conditions before deciding on one which one of these mowers you want. They are very different mowers and you need to get the right one for your conditions. I found the Huslter to be great on certain grass and not as good on other types. I found the Exmark to be excellent in all types of grass except wet, couldn't get used to the Scag. Three great mowers, a big decision not to be rushed into.
  8. Prestige-Lawncare

And I think that is why I am having such a hard time with this. One other thing I want to check is the difference in weight between the Hustler and the eXmark. I have heard that the Hustler is a heavy mower, therefore harder on the turf on turns especially on wet grass.
  9. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Weight Is a big time Issue with this ole cowboy. What Is It that your In the market for ...Wb?? I'm gathering that it's a Ztr.
    Like Tac says...do the demo on them on your type of turf...2007 Is the year of changes on a lot of ztrs
  10. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

buy a sca in northeastern pa 8out of 10 own a scag. the most dependable.