1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler, Scag, JD, Toro mow-off event

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by h seeder, Dec 12, 2007.

1. h seeder

h seeder LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

I don't know how many of you are in the Raleigh, NC area, but I would like to invite anyone interested to our year-end mow-off event. Scheduled for this Friday the 14th, we have dealers representing hustler, scag, jd and toro coming out to do side-by-side comparisons of there products, and supposedly offering some good year-end deals. Info can be found at www.mow-off.com. I'll post photo's and results on the site the following week.

Thanks, h seeder
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, that kind of a mow-off... ;)

I was thinking more along the lines of custom mower competitions, along turf courses made up of challenging terrains such as mountains lol. Yes I know they have mower racing but it's not the same thing, for one they don't accept commercial models, for another it's just more flat oval round-and-round we go stuff.
  3. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Aw man...wish I could come out for that. Sounds like a great time! I'll just settle for seeing the pics. Maybe, next year!
  4. h seeder

h seeder LawnSite Member

looks like we are up to about 15 planning to attend. there is still plenty of grass, so anyone interested in side-by-side cut quality comparisons of major brands should try to make it out.
  5. h seeder

h seeder LawnSite Member

only 4 more hours til the mow-off, come join us if you can
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They need a mow off in Spring in a place with thick wet Northern grasses to separate the men from the boys. Throw in a few less than perfect turf area's with a few weeds. Very few ZTR's have trouble in Southern type grasses. There are exceptions of course.
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I would have come but:
    1: I just saw your post and it's Friday afternoon.
    2: With this weather, I had a fairly busy day. I just got home and will also be running tomorrow until the rain hits.:)
  8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

How in the world is there still grass in that part of the state, they want you to recycle your drinking water in the Charlotte area and you best not get caught watering anything.
  9. h seeder

h seeder LawnSite Member

We ended up running a Hustler Super Z, Scag Tiger and Cub, and various JD's. After several acres, it was apparent, "Nothing runs like a deere". I cut a deal on a new 777 and my buddy went with the 997, he's a diesel nut. Considering they where the only liquid cooled engines other than the TT, plus the 7 Iron II deck, plus the legendary JD support, plus show pricing, we just couldn't say no. Both machines breezed through tall pasture grass like it wasn't there...and left a beautiful cut. The TT was the only comparable machine, but not for the difference in price. It's kind of funny, when we started looking for mowers, JD was nowhere near the top of the list, but after evaluating most everything available in the Raleigh area, we went with Deere.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Tell us the the deck and engine combination on the mowers you were comparing, then give the details of what you saw as far as, cut quality (what each looked like), productivity (cutting speeds), operation smoothness and ride comfort.