Hustler SD or Kubota ZG 127S

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by brushbuster, Mar 8, 2013.

1. brushbuster

brushbuster LawnSite Member

I think I have narrowed my choices down to these two mowers (Hustler SD and Kubota 127S 54"). I have a 1 acre yard but may pick up a couple customers as well (semi retired). I was quoted $6700.00 for the Fast Trak SD 54" and $5749.00 for the Kubota ZG127-S 54".They both have the ZT 3100 Transmission. The Hustler has a 22HP FX691 and the Kubota has a 27 HP Commander engine. Not sure on the deck depth for the SD but the Kubota is 5". The warranty for the Hustler SD is 4 year/ 800HR and the Kubota is 4 year/ 300 HR.
    I could probably stretch it to the X 1 Hustler or the Kubota ZG227 but I think that would be over kill.
    I have a JD 180 (18 HP Kawi) which has been a good yard tractor but want a ZTR with all the trees, shrubs and gardens.
    This is a great website and looking forward to some unbiased reviews. :confused:

Thanks
    Bob

Northern Minnesota

2. brushbuster

I guess there is'nt much info on the Kubota? Leaning towards the Hustler but thanks anyway.

3. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

the kubota "commander" engine is actually and Kohler courage. A cheap engine with a bad air filter system. I have yet to see one on anything thats lasted over 500hrs. The hustler with the kawasaki FX the top of the line kawi and is a way better setup. Great cut too. Spend the extra money for a better mower and a better warranty

4. brushbuster

Thanks aroddy. After reading several posts I think I will purchase a Hustler. I will probably buy a used with lower hours so I can get a better machine. What are considered low hours on a Hustler S.D. or X1

Bob

5. aroddy

I'd say anything less than 250 hrs

6. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

You can just get a hustler fastrak in the same price range as the bota. Same setup only thing you lose is the foldable rops and you go to a kawasaki fs motor, but the fs is actually considered commercial too. Waay better air filter and setup than the bota. I am nervous on used equipment I have seen to many hour meter tampering, and rigging up to sell when there is an issue. I have already been dunked on with a couple of trade ins I thought were perfect till I spent some time on them at the house...

7. brushbuster

I'm looking at the Fastrack SD with the adjustable ROP and the FX Kawie engine. I don't know if it's worth another $700 to jump up to the Xonei as the enginge has less HP in the X1i (52 inch deck).
    I called on a 2002 Super Z for $3400.00 but the guy said there was no hour meter so I passed. I would rather buy new as I'm anal when it comes to maintenance and upkeep.

8. aroddy

Very true... Ihaven't done a lot of trades but I've had guys trying to get over on me on warranty claims when the machine had to have WAYYYYY over the limit for a warrantable claim ha ha :nono:

9. jschultznorth

jschultznorth LawnSite Member

if you have a deere dealer around you can get the new 915b with 7 ironII deck 23.9 kohler, 10mph for 7100 and 0% for 36 months

10. brushbuster

There is a J.D. dealer in Duluth that sells both John Deere and Exmark. Another dealer sells Kubota and Hustlers and another sells Scag, Toro and Gravely. There is a good variety of dealers so it choosing a good dealer and as well as a dependable ZTR mower.