Hustler SMZ Blades not engaging

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by jbgreig, Jun 30, 2005.

1. jbgreig

jbgreig LawnSite Member

I have a 52" Hustler Super MiniZ with about 20 hours on it. Yesterday I was mowing my 3 acres, and disengaged the blades when I was almost finished so I could pick up a branch. When I got back on, I couldn't get the blades to engage. When I pull the PTO switch, I can hear a clicking noise coming from somewhere, sounds like under the seat. My dealer is a couple of hours away, so I'd like to do any basic troubleshooting to avoid a trip.

Any Suggestions?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If you are hearing a clicking noise, it is likely your clutch trying to engage.
    So it is likely the clutch where the problem is located.
    Is there a chance the belt came off?
    Let me know.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Also check where the wires plug into the clutch. The plug might be loose.
  4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

MY Mini Z PTO switch went out with around 50 hours on it. Looks like you need to head to the dealer or call them to ship out a new switch if it isn't the belt. The first switch the dealer put on was the wrong one so make sure if you do get one shipped it is the correct one.

The switch doesn't cost much and is under warranty or least my dealer didn't charge me. I brought in the mower so they could verify it was the switch. Real easy to put on yourself. Also check all your fuses.

My be cheaper to buy the switch and have it shipped instead of paying for gas to bring the mower in to verify it is the switch so it would be covered under the warranty.
  5. jbgreig

jbgreig LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick response. I'll check it this evening and let you know!