1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Sport 42 Engine Replacement?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ahb001, Jun 29, 2014.

1. ahb001

ahb001 LawnSite Member

So my Briggs engine 31G777-0303-G1 just cracked. Not really sure why. Does anyone know approximately how much it will cost to be replaced? What other engine options are available, Kawasaki, Honda? This sucks to have a blown engine on a 5yr old mower that has been regularly maintained.

I'll call my dealer tomorrow to see what they can do. Would it be worth it to have them repair it or is this something that can be done by someone with pretty decent mechanical abilities?

2. fibersport

fibersport LawnSite Member

NOT speaking from any personal experience in engine swaps on mowers but I would think it should be pretty much an easy swap if you stay in the same HP rating or at least put in a motor that would have been an optional size. Any reason why you wouldn't stay with the same brand and size? One thing to remember however, a dealer should warranty his work, the motor manufacturer may have different warranties if dealer installed vs owner installed. Just a thought - best to get an estimate and compare to what you can do it for and see if the dealer warranty is worth it to you.

3. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

Charging wires for one will be a headache. Throttle plate would be the second, footprint, cranksize. These should all be checked prior to ordering. Maybe a dealer has already done one and can help with a good replacement.

Brian O

4. ahb001

ahb001 LawnSite Member

Well my dealer would have been around $1600 when all said and done to replace with the same Briggs motor. That's not happening. I contacted Briggs for an acceptable replacement and they recommended model 331977-0001, which is a 21hp motor. Everything I have read seems like its a direct swap and pretty easy. So i'll give it a try.

5. MRCo.

MRCo. LawnSite Member

Electrical system and linkages would be the potential issues off the bat if the engine type is changed.

6. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

Let us know how it works out please,
    Brian O

7. ahb001

ahb001 LawnSite Member

Just a little update. I purchased the new engine online for $530 shipped to my door. The swap was very easy. New engine had the same mounting holes and also used the same wiring harness. So if anyone else hase this problem, don't be afraid to attempt it yourself and save a little money.

8. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I usually do everything for $1000 replaced new 21hp. There are some on ebay around 650, its about a 1 to 2 hour job to replace as long as the clutch pulley and clutch are not seized to the crank shaft. Sometimes we have to replace them because of that costing a little more....