Hustler Sport Clutch / Gator Blades

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Nickdigg, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Nickdigg

Nickdigg LawnSite Member

I have a heavily used Hustler Sport that I use for 30+ yards a season.I am in need of a PTO clutch, current one fails to engage when hot. All I can find are the Xtreme Mower Clutches. Anyone have any experience with them? It came with a Warner clutch, where can I buy one of those online? I haven't talked to the dealer yet, will call, but expecting them to be pricey.

Sport Model: 929125
    Warner Clutch: 5217-53
    Xtreme Clutch sells for $150 on ebay

Also looking for a new set of mulching blades. I currently have a mulching kit installed. I'm considering getting the factory style mulching blades (same as what I have now) but am interested in Gator blades. Would gator blades be any good with a mulching kit? Better than the regular style mulching blades? I would like to leave the mulching kit installed.

42" deck
    Stock flat blade: 793764
    Stock Mulching: 794214
    Was considering the Oregon G6

Thanks!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. Bashby

Bashby LawnSite Senior Member

I replaced the clutch on my Scag TT last year with one of those extreme ones, I think I got it off ebay. It looked to be well made and so far it has been working fine. I'm not sure how many hrs it has been.

4. Nickdigg

Nickdigg LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, ill give the Xtreme clutch a go.

So are the Gator blades designed for side discharge? Would they function poorly with a mulching kit?

5. Restrorob

How can a blade designed to chop grass finer work poorer than a wavy lift blade ?

6. Nickdigg

Nickdigg LawnSite Member

So maybe this is a better way to put it: which blade would function better in my application (mulch kit installed) Gator blade or wavy blade?

From what I've read, Gator blades were designed for side side discharge. Because of that I'm debating whether it would function better than a wavy blade with a mulch kit installed, not using side discharge.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Restrorob