Hustler Stand-On typr Walk Behind?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by UGA, Jun 3, 2003.

1. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Although I am sold on the Super Z as my next ZTR I am still in love with the Surfer/Stander type walk behind mowers and wanted to know if Hustler has any plans to produce a similar product. I have heard great comments about the hydro walk behind but I really like the stander models better than those requiring sulkies although I'm still not sure if I can put one everywhere a walk behind will go. Thanks for the feedback.
    Mark

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You mean like this ???
    [​IMG]
    The Hustler Shortcut was the the first stand-on/sit down type unit to hit the market, but do to some patent issues we had to make it a sit down only unit, and it lost its appeal to a lot of customers.
    We still have a bunch of these units at dealers and distributors.
    They are availble in 48/54/60 inch decks.
    Check with your dealer for availability and pricing.

Later
    Pj

3. UGA

That's not what I'm looking for and from looking at the specs it's a little slow for me.

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

For what it's worth I've tried and tried the standers and the like and for me, nothing beats the Hustler super WB's with a Bullrider. The stander's are "too short" and ride like a Jeep; they buck fore and aft too much for me. Regardless, the H bar coupled with a castored sulky gives the best possible control of any machine. With the bumpiness of the standers, any hand movement while having to hold the levers in the exact position to go straight, will cause you to hit objects.
    True you can be careful with the Stander, but the question is why make it so hard, just get the H bar. I realize it gets tiring to those that don't have the H bar, but all the other stander type machines need one hand on each lever (left and right) in an exact position to go straight. The H bar links the pumps together so that rolling the h bar forward (with 1 hand or both hands, there’s no difference) makes the machine go perfectly straight, without having to be concerned with “each hand” being “needed” to direct and control the machine in a straight line. Now I know I get boring, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand that using only “One” lever (h bar) to control something is easy than needing “Two” levers (every other brand) to do the same job.

5. UGA

nothing beats the Hustler super WB's with a Bullrider. The stander's are "too short" and ride like a Jeep; they buck fore and aft too much for me. Regardless, the H bar coupled with a castored sulky gives the best possible control of any machine.

LOL; that Jeep type ride is almost funny on the rare occasion that the ground I'm going over is that bumpy. I also experience this when backing up off of the trailer sometimes. I'm not very familiar with this castored sulky(Bullrider), I just always have enjoyed the ability to reverse or spin around in tight areas without having to worry about turning an ankle or something. Any more info on this sulky would be appreciated. I'll probably swing by my dealer as well to see if they have any literature on it. Thanks

6. Doc Pete

Honestly, something we all seem to forget is the type of ground we are mowing. I have only one lawn that let's me really "cut" at 10mph. I guess I get all the lawns nobody wants. However, I've tested the Walker, Bobcat, Dixie Chopper and Hustler Z on my "test" lawn, and the WB with sulky still seems the easiest on my body. For what it's worth, most of the lawns I'm mowing are at least 40 years old, as compared to many guy's cutting in brand developments.
    Pete

7. UGA

Is the sulky you're using the one you sit on or stand on? Or is it the one on the Hustler website that allows you to do either?

8. Doc Pete

Hustler orginally recommended the Bull rider, and that's what I've been using the last 2 years. It's a stand on only unit. Please note, my biggest lawn takes me about 45 minutes for only the mowing part. I can see using a rider for a lawn that's 2 hours just for mowing. However, for me, that's too long without a break, and 2 hours in the saddle ain't mowing, it's work (G).
    Pete

9. UGA

Thanks Pete,
    Not having run a ZTR much more than 15 minutes at a time I don't know how much wear and tear on the user there is. I have always assumed that sitting down would be easier on the user provided he is on a good suspension seat but the other day I was talking to my friend that runs his Lazer for several hours a day and he says his back has been pretty worn lately. What I would really like to do is run a Super Z on some of my yards as a demo for a day and really compare. It would make since that your knees and legs can cushion your back better than just sitting; I still get an achey back if I run my Surfer for several hours at a time because I have to stand in a little bit of a funny position on it but it is FAR better than my old Snapper Comet:)
    Later
    Mark

10. Doc Pete

Mark,
    Its good hear the "Average" rider owner admitting his back gets beat up. IMO, it's rather simple to see the problem. It's not so much the bumping, but it's that with nothing to "stabilize" the user of "twin sticks" your back muscles have to do all the work. In other words, without having the fixed "h" bar or steering wheel to hold on to, to keep your body from moving forward and aft under acceleration and braking, your back muscle have to do this for you. As the owner of a twin stick, H bar and tractor it’s easy to notice the difference.
    Pete