Hustler Super D

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by superman, Apr 20, 2005.

1. superman

superman LawnSite Member

Yep, I got my hands on the Super Z Diesel last week. That thing is BAAAAAAAAAADDDD!!!!!!! It felt bigger and bulkier than mine, which it probably should have. Mine is a 60" and the demo unit was a 72". I was very impressed with the torque and the noise the unit made. I put it in the tallest grass I could find, let the deck down and turned on the blades. The mower didn't even know it was cutting grass. At Wide Open Throttle it seemed to be quieter than my 25hp kawi. Other thing that I noticed was that the blades engage much smoother than anything I have been on. It's almost like they have to spin up....I guess I don't know how to explain it, but it was a big positive. When I engage my blades it's like they hit all at once, but this wasn't like that. This was smooth.

Anyway, just wanted to say that the mower is sweet and if you get a chance to demo one, give it a try.

PJ, is there any secret to how the blades are engaged on that mower Vs stock 60" super Z??

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

That mower is awesome.
    No secret in the blade engagement, it is a hydraulic pump and motor that run the deck, and you are engaging a electric clutch on the pump when you turn on the blades.

Pj

3. superman

superman LawnSite Member

I can't describe why it felt better than my super Z, but engaging the blades just felt a lot smoother than my Z. I forgot to add that it handles great.

4. joallen001

joallen001 LawnSite Member
    from TN

My dealer is having an open house Friday and I am going to demo one. Little to high in price for me right now.

5. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

Is there really that many more places that you can get a 52" deck compared to the 60". I think the 60" would be the best fit, but I have the summers off and may try to pick up a few mowing jobs in a couple of years. Wondering if the 60" is good for most jobs. Right now I'm thinking SZ 60/27 LC Kaw., but I would like to Know more about the 28hp EFI by Kohler.
    Wife said yesterday to just buy the SZ Diesel. She said "Whats another $4K"

Also: Any good dealers in the Muskogee or Tulsa area?

6. superman

superman LawnSite Member

I am very happy with my 60"!! It will fit everywhere that I have needed it to go. The places it wouldn't fit, you wouldn't have gotten a 52" there either. If the wife didn't mind it, I would be picking up the diesel in 60". Don't forget you could get the new 66" deck they are offering.