Hustler Super Mini mulch or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jozgators, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Jozgators

Jozgators LawnSite Member

Just bought a 2003 mini super z with 52 in deck. It has the qwikchute with mulching blades. When I try to mulch it leaves a large line of clippings on the right side. Just wondering if I need to get the baffle kit, does anyone use them and does it slow you down. Or would a different type of blade would help. Thanks for any input.
  2. icatcher

icatcher LawnSite Member

Are you using the stock blades? I tried mulching with them and they stunk, kinda a medium lift blade. Also,You really need the baffle kit it improves the air movement under the deck. Clippings disappear.
    I run the exact same Z. Super mini, 25 hp Kaw, 52" deck.
    Gator magnum blades and the baffel kit.
    Best combo I have found. However i am cutting warm season grasses. Centipede, Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, etc.

The Gator magnums require a little more HP due to the increased thickness however, the cut quality, and speed of cut doesn't suffer.

The Gators are the perfect blade for the fall and winter too, mulch your leaves away.. No bagging.

You could also try doubles if the gators still leave a stringer.
    i plan on testing doubles soon with a gator on top of a hi-lift
    just for giggles.

TURFBLASTER LawnSite Member

4. Jozgators

Jozgators LawnSite Member

Thanks icathcer for the advice I believe they are the original blades. Just bought the machine yesterday. Turfblaster thank you also, I have a gravely wb 48 in with mulch kit on it. WIth the kit on it has slowed the mower down quite a bit. Thats why I don't want to put on a mulch kit on the ztr. The only reason I like mulching is because I don't like seeing long blades of grass being dispersed all over. Which doesn't happen all the time. I mow once a week , so the grass doesn't get to high. But as you know here in Florida it grows, especially St Augustine. I will try different blades maybe gator magnum blades or highlift. Any suggestions?
  5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Photos taken after heavy fertilization before the recent rains.

Major spurt in growth.

I took average 8" down to 4" with two passes.

I mowed open discharge 1st.

Then I cross mowed with the qwickchute partially open...

Grass apeared bagged!

Got blowby on mower, and myself....

Wore safety glasses.

You are going to have a windrow using a OCDC...

On reg mulching, I just run the mower over the windrow, with the

deck in the full upright and locked position...

And blow over it at full speed, with the Qwikchute wide open!

Windrows disappear.

Hope this helps,

photo ops 1.jpg
  6. captken

of a Hustler Z with gator blades installed, mowin' tall turf fast, makin' clippin's disapear, using a qwikchute...

photo ops 2..jpg
  7. captken

to keep your blades sharpened and balanced...
  8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Ken those pix are awesome, did you look like the Jolly green giant afterwards??!!! Love your stripes!:D
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

GOOD GOD KEN!!!!!

Blowby, blow out.... I don't know what the word for that is, but it sure ain't neither of those! Looked bagged? Windrows dissappeared? Ummmm I think all the clippings are ON the mower.

Where the heck did those come out at? I would guess the FRONT of the deck, particularly between the center and right blade judging from the pics?
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

One thing you might try before the kit is adding a piece of angle iron to the bottom of the qwikchute. This would make it an L shape on the bottom and create a lip to help or stop the little rows if they are trailing down right at the discharge.

I'm trying to think of a non-permanet way you could try that just in case it creates another issue and because it will take a trivial amount of cutting width away. But noting is coming to me. If you don't understand what I'm saying about the angle iron lip, let me know and I will post a picture...