1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Super Z 104"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by KV9064, Oct 14, 2012.

1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I had flat free tires on my TT and they were great. I'll tell you one thing though, before the flat free tires, I had my tires on an Exmark filled with foam and they rode terrible-no flats but a drastic trade off. I almost took them back off. The weight thing is like driving a big truck-the more weight, the better the ride.
  2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You need to explain the weight thing to "Realslowww," for some reason he has a hard time getting a grip on this.

The tires on my mower are manufactured under the name of OTR, below is what their claim is.

The OTR Semi Pneumatic tire's main design features are:

Improved Semi Pneumatic design. Benefit: heavy duty flat proof tire that performs like a pneumatic tire.

Locked Tire design. Benefit: when mounted on a wheel creates a true one piece wheel assembly.

Smooth tread design. Benefit: stays clean and creates minimal turf disturbance.

Enhanced rubber technology in design. Benefit: reduces shock and lowers vibration during operation.
  3. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I agree 100% on that one. It appears that they D/C'd the range wing and have made an ill attempt to replace it. The thing is, the range wing was an industrial unit with a 38HP Kubota diesel and made to handle day in and day out mowing. The odd thing is that the price point wasn't much different than this 104". This mower is nothing more than a Super Z with wings and a price that's way out of line. It's a beautiful mower but I don't see them selling many...that's my prediction. I also agree with Hustler reinventing the wheel and having too many machines. I will say that they are the most proactive company I've ever seen but they have been all over the map with their product line since I started with them in 98'.
  4. puppypaws

The 104 will never be a big seller, and I look for them to pull it from their lineup rather quickly, either that or make significant changes, with engines being the most needed change. There will be a few sold to people that want to spend money, and look to others as if having the biggest and baddest Super Z made. Then there will be a few buying them to try on large open area cutting such as a sports complex. I can promise if anyone attempts to cut damp or slightly (not greatly) overgrown grass, they will find out immediately the 104 is extremely weak.
  5. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I just tripped up on this video of a Hustler salesman showing the Hustler 104 and commenting on the HP required to operate the rear discharge setup on the mower.

While watching the video I remembered this discussion here on LS about whether a rear discharge deck required more, or less, HP to operate than a side discharge deck.

Don't mean to stir the pot, but I thought it was interesting that reps of different companies seem to have a difference of opinion when it comes to this topic. This salesman says the RD deck takes less hp to operate, but like Ridin' Green, I've also seen/heard reps state the opposite.

(The statement he makes about the hp required to run the RD deck is at 1 minute.)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

What mistakes you talking about Do tell
  7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Good find mate! Love to see a vid of it actually mowing though.
    Be good if it could lift the "wings" individually!
    I dont think the 35hp would be enough to run it over here unless it never rained again.
    RD needs less HP. Its not trying to throw all 108" worth through a 15" or what ever hole. Hell, cant even throw 60"! Sorry, had to be said!:weightlifter:
    The scalp wheels on the rear edge of the "wing" arent pivoting like a caster.
    What happens if or WHEN the "wings" get folded while the blades are still engaged? Its a rhetorical question!
    Great hydro system though.............
  8. puppypaws

That's a very good point, you've seen times in your area where the full 35 hp was needed on your 60" deck. I understand having a larger discharge opening as with a rear discharge deck should ease hp requirements somewhat, but when thinking about adding 2.66' more cutting width to that 35 hp, it's hard for me to believe it can handle it properly in all cutting scenarios.

There could be a safety switch integrated to stop the deck immediately if the wing raise switch was activated, hopefully, there is something in place.
  9. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice video. I think the salesman chose his words carefully. He said it didnt require the hp of a side discharge. He didnt said the rear discharge requires less.
  10. Turning tall grass short

Turning tall grass short LawnSite Member

I've been told the wings can flex 15 degrees up or down for hillsides and slopes. There's a slot in the lifting arm allowing that. When the clutch is on you can't raise the wing. 179 post and there are still questions. I don't require something this big but I still drove it and it was sweet. The machine is out, hasn't anybody mowed with it yet? It's still in the 30 up here and lots of rain but no mowing yet.