1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Super Z 104"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by KV9064, Oct 14, 2012.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The mower has a purpose for some applications but not mine, this mower will not allow the speed or maneuverability I can get with the 72", and if they have not picked up another engine of at least 40+ hp it will be underpowered. That 8 1/2' deck has got to handle a lot of grass, and it will take plenty of power to make it function as designed. I don't see the smaller wheels and forks handling what I put them through at the speeds I prefer to run.
  2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

My City runs rear discharged and My son knows a guy rides one He said they cant go very fast or leaves alot standing grass
    I know from seeing the parks they look bad with all the rows of cut grass kinda looks like I mowed my hay field
  3. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

37 may work with a rear discharge, Hustler recommends the 850 Kaw on a 72 rear discharge.

I think if we go back through the years and reread your post's we will find many excuses why you did not buy a 72 along time ago , this mower will more than likely be the same.
  4. puppypaws

If the grass you are cutting with a rear discharge mower has any size at all, what you described is exactly what it does. The mower will leave a windrow appearing to look as if it is waiting for a hay baler to pull it in so it can be baled.
  5. puppypaws

I don't believe you will find a reason I specified why I never bought a 72. I guess with your background in physics, you do realize that 72 is only 6" wider than the 66 I've been running for the past six years, and I've run several 72's through the years while never seeing any real difference in maneuverability.
  6. NEWT92

NEWT92 LawnSite Member

7. jimjoy12

jimjoy12 LawnSite Member

i wonder if it could do the work of two 52s faster.
  8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Rear discharge finish cut decks like this one normally leave a lower grade finish to the cut than a side discharge deck. They also require more HP to run usually because instead of the grass being cut and blown out the side at the front, the grass has to be cut at the front, and then the long clippings have to pass back through the blades on their way out the rear of the deck, which adds to the power drain. Too, this machine has got to be quite a bit heavier than any other Z, or SZ for that matter, so I would think that the FX1000 would be the minimum engine that could run it efficiently, and I would want at least an additional 5 or so ponies.
  9. Realslowww

Yaa but you timed your new 72 and it was around 25 percent fatser than your 66,just imagine how much faster this could be.
  10. Realslowww

from what I hear it requires way less power to run a rear discharge.