Hustler Super Z 104"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by KV9064, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

The ? is can you mow at 15 with the 104. Well Pupster we are waiting for you to let us know.

2. howierd3866

howierd3866 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 72 side discharge and 2 rear discharge I would love to have this one but not at $30k

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

While looking at it from a physics point of view, no, this mower will never cut grass at 15 mph, it is not capable. The blades can't turn fast enough, and even if it could knock the grass down for finishing with a double cut, those wings would tear all to pieces bouncing over the ground at fast mowing speeds. I would say the caster forks would probably be the first component to break down, the is not a fast mowing speed designed mower.

Hustler will tell you, they do not make a mower designed to cut grass at 15 mph, and I figure they would like for the 104 to stay below 10.

4. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

The thing is where I am your 72 at 15 would out cut the 104 at 10 and you are right the mower would probably fall apart doing what you do tp your 72.

For 30 grand screw that, for that I can build something much more productive

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This mower looks like the "cats meow" for some applications, maybe for a school system mowing several football field and baseball field complexes, very smooth large open areas. You can take your mower and put it beside this mower on a football field and you will mow much faster, just not quite as wide.

You can take your mower and put it into what would be considered reasonably rough cutting, and your mower will still be going strong when someone is working to keep the wings on the big boy intact. Look at the picture close, then think about how these wings will react while floating over rough ground at any speed at all. Look at the hinge points, the hydraulic cylinders, and the much smaller forks and spindles. The mower will be great on manicured large open areas, but like I say, the ones that will suit this mower are sports fields and the likes thereof.

6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Notice the front of the deck is straight? I wonder whats going on under there with over lap.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I'm guessing that being a rear discharge deck the center blade is offset to the rear like they normally are on a 3 pt RD deck.

8. Mickhippy

They may of done that with this deck but there other RD decks a middle blade forward, on the ztrs anyway.

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

What I am thinking is that in order to keep the deck compact enough/shaped correctly to fit under the frame and have the belt as short as possible, they may have used a staggered design kinda like this, with the parentheses representinmg the wing mowers-

HTML:
                        O    O
                    O)     O    (O

10. Mickhippy

Ok, got it!
    Be interesting to see the full photos of it. A few pulleys on that thing!
    Interested in seeing the new line up actually, and the new seat add on.