Hustler Super Z-15MPH!=transport speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnybravo8802, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

For those of you who may not know, Puppy paws and I have had a different opinion about the Super Z on another thread. This is info. for anyone with a Hustler or is thinking of buying one. Puppy showed pics of his lawn after cutting with the Super Z at 15MPH and how it did a good job. I don't refute that. He has owned Super Z's and I have not-I give credit where credit is due. However, I was the first one in 6 counties in 98' to own a Hustler 1500 and I bought a 3200Z in 01"($21,000). I have had a standing relationship with Hustler and the Southeast district sales manager for 10 yrs. I think that fact and being in this business for yrs. qualify's me to have a strong opinion about Hustler. I would like to be respected for being in the field for lots of yrs. and having an "experienced opinion." I'll do the same.

Hustler advertises having the fastest machine on the market capable of 15MPH and the machine will do just that. However, when they first came out, I asked about that and I was told that the Super Z was designed to do 15 MPH as a "transport speed" and not in mowing conditions. Hence the lack of torque in different mowing conditions compared to a regular Z. They are geared tall and it doesn't take a lot of torque on asphalt. The purpose and meaning of the transport speed of 15MPH is, if you have several yards in a neighborhood, you can go from yard to yard at 15MPH without loading the mower, which saves time.Puppy paws didn't agree with this and in fact claims that he had them change the wording in the literature to exclude the word "transport speed." If you look in the 07' manual, you will still see the word "transport" in the manual. It states:Transport 0-15 and mowing 0-10. Puppy's suggestion was to call the factory and prove him right on his facts so I did just that. The lady at Excel Hustler stated that the word "Transport" means to travel from location to location which is just what I had said. I then spoke with the district sales manager and he confirmed the same thing. He stated,"we do not advertise the Super Z to mow grass at 15MPH. The 15MPH is a transport speed which is clearly speeled out by reading the manual. A super Z is capable of mowing grass at 15 MPH if it's flat and not tall but that is not the intended use. A person should not be mowing tall grass at 15MPH, that's ridiculous." Anyone on here can call Hustler and they will tell you the same thing. In fact, he plans to pass this info. to the top and Hustler "may make a statement also."

This isn't about who's right or wrong, it's about the correct info. and using a machine for it's intended purpose. An F550 is capable of 19,000lbs, but it wasn't intended to do it day in and day out. That's where the blown engines and torn transmissions come into play. Manufacturer's design machines to do more than their limit from time to time, but if you push them to their limit on a daily basis, they will break.

Happy mowing!!:waving:

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, thats true. I was at my dealer the other day getting some parts and noticed the Super Z's in the showroom. I asked about them and the salesman told me that guys will come in and ask for the fastest mower they have, and choose that one. He said he explains to them that you dont mow at 15mph, but that doesnt phaze them, its a transport speed, not a mowing speed. He also said 8 to 10 mph is about as fast as you want to go, more so 8 from the way he talked. What works for some, doesnt work for all I guess. I'll stick with the 8+ mph, thats fine with me.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Although I don't see what's the big deal here, I agree with your post 100%.

I've run SuperZs for the last four years. Between the three I've owned, I've logged a little over 1500 hours combined. Yes, the SuperZ will go approximately 15 mph and yes, it will mow at 15 mph. But conditions for this speed have to be almost perfect. Very sharp blades, dry grass, and you typically don't want to be cutting no more than an inch or so. Oh yeah, don't forget to leave the discharge chute up.

What I'm getting at here is, how often do all these conditions exist out there in the field? Very rarely did I ever mow more than maybe 10-12 mph even in good conditions. :)

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here we go again....

Whats the big deal?

I don't see the argument here. Care to clarify?

Are you saying Puppy is somehow endangering himself or the mower? Is he somehow abusing the mower? No, and No.

If all your arguing about is the verbage of a spec sheet or manual.....you need a hobby.

5. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

The only point I'm trying to make is to correct wrong info. given by others. Another person on this site was extremely adamant that this technical info. was wrong and even went so far as to say Hustler was wrong with their info-that's pretty high and mighty! I've never questioned the manufacturer of their own mower!!!!!!!!!

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The reason Hustler and other manufacturers dance around this term "TRANSPORT SPEED", is that somewhere, some time, someone complained that their 15mph mower cant cut grass at that speed. And he likely got his money back! After all a ZTR only cuts grass....if it goes 15mph it must always cut grass at that speed, right? lol

It was then that a solution to this issue was created. Instead of listing a min-max speed, label the speed above which desirable QOC is lost as "TRANSPORT SPEED". Problem solved.

Now with horsepower and speed wars increasing, verbage is changed as needed.

7. ResidentialOwner

ResidentialOwner LawnSite Member

So who wins the fastest/best cut competition? A magazine shootout like they do for dirtbikes would be cool.

8. Some of you take this way too serious.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Puppy paws also cut at like 2". theses type mower cut better and faster at lower heights

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned 2 Super Z's over the last 5 years, a 52" 27hp Kohler and a 60" 28hp EFI Kohler. Both of them were equipped with the factory mulch kit. If the turf is smooth enough I can mow consistantly at 15mph from Nov thru about the middle of June here in Central Florida mowing St Augustine. I'm not saying that I do, I'm just saying that I could if I wanted to. Once the summer rains start the grass starts to thicken and I must slow down to achieve a good cut. To anyone who doubts me, you're welcome to come watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.