Hustler Super Z 60" deck

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Larry Davis, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

I've been mowing approximately 7 acres with trees, some slopes, some relatively flat with an eXmark Lazer Z HP 48" deck for about the past 4 years. I love it to look good but I want to cut down on the 6 hours it takes to mow. The eXmark has been (and still is) a great machine. However, I'm ready to buy the Hustler because the eXmark Lazer Z 60" deck with Kohler 28 EFI is over $1000.00 higher priced. I've read all of the posts on Lawnsite concerning the Hustler Super Z and have three final questions I hope someone can answer before I head out this week to spend the big bucks. 1. Will I be as satisfied with the cut quality of the Hustler as compared to the well known superb cut of the Lazer? 2. Has the issue of the discharge opening being a little too small in the Super Z deck been resolved in the 2005 models? 3. Can any of you tell me in detail why the Super Z is supposed to hold better on steeper slopes than the eXmarks?

2. CincyWolf

CincyWolf LawnSite Member

All excellent questions. I don't own one but have been looking at them closely.

1) Most dealers, even dealers that sell both, will not talk poorly of Hustler cut quality but they emphasis how good eXmark cut quality is. From what I see, eXmark is the benchmark out there - period. Unless you are mowing extremely tall grass at speeds faster than you should be mowing the Hustler will probably be good enough for most but not as good as eXmark. I recommend you test both for what you plan to do. Make sure both are set up to optimum conditions. Unfortunately, most demo units do not show up that way.

2) They did open up the mower deck for 2005 but all mowers in stock do not have the larger opening and the different blade setup because this was a run behind change not a strict model year cutover. Go to the Hustler sponsored site here on Lawnsite and search for this. Pj the moderator has posted drawings. You can modify older decks but if you're buying a new one you should make sure you get the new deck. Who wants cut a new deck?

3) I too have a relatively steep hill to mow so have asked the same question before. The long and short is the Super Z has a lower center of gravity than the Lazer Z in part because it is a vertical shaft engine arrangement vs. the eXmark with mule drive. It has a heavier frame and the engine sits lower. Of course a 60" deck on a Lazer Z will hold hills better than the HP because it has a wider track. The champion of hill holding might be a Great Dane because of wide track, low mounted engine and no fuel tanks above the rear wheels. A Scag Turf Tiger is also very good.

I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing more replies myself. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either the Lazer Z or the Super Z. As far as features, the Super Z has more than the eXmark but your got to like that yellow paint. Being a relocated Wolfpacker, I prefer red paint but still might buy the Hustler Super Z.

3. Larry Davis

Appreciate your input. I probably should have tried to post this in the Commercial forum but figured the moderator would have moved it anyway. As you can see, you were the only person to respond. However, I agree that you really can't go wrong with either the Lazer Z or Super Z. I went ahead and bought the Hustler Super Z, 60" deck, Kohler 28 EFI primarily because of the cost difference. I got the Super Z for $8400 out the door compared to $9500 plus 7% tax on the Lazer. It is a 2005 model but does not have the new deck. Used it for the first time two days ago to mow one of my properties. Finished in 3 hours instead of the usual 5 hours and I am very pleased with the cut quality. This particular property is a mix of fescue grasses with scattered patches of glover ..... both of which, as you probably know, have high moisture content and tend to stick under deck. I found the amount of buildup to be minimal, certainly no more than what I would have had on my Lazer Z HP. Also, as expected, it certainly holds slopes much better. One particular large sloped area that I normally have to do with a walk behind, the Super Z handled easily. I will be posting in the Hustler forum the only complaint/problem I have at this time.
    Thanks again for your responce.
    Larry

4. CincyWolf

CincyWolf LawnSite Member

Keep us posted on how you like it. I'd also be interested in mulch quality if you install the mulching kit.

5. Red Hemlocker

Red Hemlocker LawnSite Member

Dont know how steep your hills are, but I own the Hustler ATZ 60" deck.
    Probably the most stable Z on the market. It is really a Super Z with an extended frame. Comes with ATV tires with reversed tread and wheel weights.

Only drawback is the roll-frame is not easily detachable to mow in situations where you need low clearance.

6. Larry Davis

Just thought I'd update you on my Hustler Super Z, 60/28.
    I'll start with the problems .......... at 6 hours the three torx type retaining bolts that hold the starter solenoid to the starter completely sheared off. This could only have been caused by over torqueing when starter unit was assembled. Can't blame Hustler for this. The second problem was a leak in the hydraulic oil fitting for the breather line. The Hustler dealer installed a complete starter unit and hydraulic line and fitting. The dealer was very cooperative but their mechanics were certainly not what one could call Hustler experts. One of the few things on the Super Z that is not very accessable is the starter. This was a BIG job replacing it.

Now the good things ........... It's a dream to operate! Built like a tank. Very comfortable. As stated in my original post, mine came with the old style deck and very honestly I do not know why some people were unhappy with it. Here in the Smoky Mountains we have been getting almost daily rain for several months and the primary type of grasses are tall fiscue and kentucky blue. Both types hold a lot of moisture and, along with all of the rain, I am mowing tall, wet grass. I still have and operate my Exmark Laser and can tell you the deck buildup is actually less on the Hustler and the cut quality is almost the same. The very slight difference is probably due to the Exmark being a 48" deck which will give a more finished look than a 60" when the lawn is not perflectly flat.

I've only put another 20 hours on it so we'll just have to wait see how well it holds up.
    Larry