Hustler Super Z Amazes Me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Mar 3, 2008.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I cut for the first time today, onions (wild garlic) and Henbit is really bad. I walked out and checked the oil in the 28 efi, got on the mower, turn the switch, it turned over twice and was purring like a kitten. I set the deck to cut at 2 1/2" and was cutting onions at 15 mph and not leaving a sprig standing.

The Hustler Super Z never ceases to amaze me how it will cut at 15 mph and do an excellent job in my situation. When you mow onions and get a clean cut at 8 mph is one thing but when you can do it at 15 mph is really unbelievable. These are fusion blades that were sharpened 8 hrs. back so they are not new dead perfect blades by any stretch of the imagination, I cut through a tremendous number of fire ant mounds.

I have cut many, many acres with this mower and it still blows my mind every time I mow and see how much area I can cover in such a short period of time.

Cutting low is what makes the difference, if I attempted to cut those same onions at 3 1/4" or above I would have to cut the speed in half and would still see a straggler all along.

It is really a joy to get on a mower that cranks, runs and cuts that well, especially with that speed.

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

It's a great machine and you should be proud!

It's too bad it will contribute to a certain degree, a small one, to the lowering of prices in the industry. It does the work quickly and that's where some lcos will lower their prices. I know they shouldn't but can you legislate common sense. NO. Can you force them to understand investment, return on investment and better profits. NO.

It's too bad that cutting grass can't absorb better thecnology without shooting itself in the foot. It's all caused by poor planning and little financial training in the industry itself.

Enjoy the machine, it's a fantastic piece of equipment.

:)

3. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Could'nt agree with you more puppypaws , ive also taken this mower on hills .Holds like no othe ZTR ive ever used. Of course i dont mow the hills at 15 MPH. Hope you didnt get ANTS in the Pants !:laugh:

4. Bluestem

Bluestem LawnSite Member

They are great machines. They cut well, cover ground quick and they ride beautifully compared to others I have tried. I haven't had any significant downtime with them.

5. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i must agree,it is a great machine

6. puppypaws

That is kinda funny now that you have mentioned it. I run so fast that sometimes I don't see the fire ant mounds quick enough if they aren't really big. I have hit them and not notice but they would fly up on the mower and the next thing I know they are eating me alive around my ankles and legs. They will make you stop real fast to get them knocked off.

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Its kind of funny how some people have luck with a certain mower and others dont. It cuts great for you puppypaws and I have read numerous posts where people werent impressed. I even assisted 1 guy last year in getting hustler to buy his mower back because it cut so bad and was in the shop more than on his lawns. I guess it really comes down to what a person has luck with.

8. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't agree with you more. My Hustler would not cut well even at 5MPH. But then I was cutting at 3-1/2" in think grass. This was confirmed by Hustler before they purchased the mower back.

9. puppypaws

I think it has more to do with the height I cut at, cutting at a lower height gives more suction and lets me cut very fast. I will say in my conditions, which is southern grasses that tend to be more rigid it does an excellent job. When you can cut onions, dandelions and all the other junk thrown in at the speeds I run and not double cut, things are working about as well as can be expected. I would expect it not to do as good a job in the plush moisture laden grasses up north, especially cutting at 3 1/2" or more, it just does not have the suction at higher deck heights.

The application in which I use the Super Z, there probably is not a mower on the market with as good a lower height cut at 15 mph. It is really hard to compare because I need speed and productivity, there is a great deal of difference in cutting at 12 mph versus 15, it is really hard to realize until you experience it.

What was Hustler's reasoning behind your problem? They had to have some idea of why their mower would not cut in your conditions.

10. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

The answer never did get completely nailed down. Believe it or not the only real answer I got was ”I should Double Cut that’s what a lot of people do. It looks fine after double cutting." And it did going slow in the summer when they were out. But that still would not work in the spring.

To start off I need to say I had a 52/25 Super Mini Z. There were several issues that I was trying to sort out.

1. The dispersion on that deck was bad. Most of the grass came out of the very front of the baffle. This caused the clippings to be thick and heavy.

2. At speeds of 5MPH or above the cut was starting to be uneven and there was some stragglers left.

3. In sections where the grass was sparse, I was getting lots of stragglers’. (This was not a big concern because that section is now thicker)

We tried a lot of different things from tilting the deck forward and back to using different blades. The best combo I found was double gators. The problem with the gator though was lift. I should have tried High lifts with Gators on top. However the mower should not needed all this tweaking. Also, in the spring I had areas that I kept going over and could not get rid of the clipping. Finally, My neighbor came over with his Exmark and catcher and cleaned up the mess.

Both the dealer and the Hustler Rep said all I have to do is double cut to get rid of the clippings. And for this to be successful I had to leave them dry a bit first. I also tried the 60” Super Z on the property and it was better but not perfect or as good as my old Bunton 60” walk behind. I could have traded up to the 60” machine but was afraid that may still not work well.

After I tried a JD 60” 757 and it cut so well I decided to give up on Hustler. The Deere cut and dispersed the clipping well at any speed even up to its top end of only 9MPH. It was rough riding though. I was not impressed with the machine but the cut was amazing. And clippings are fanned out far and wide.