Hustler Super Z and hills.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by apples017, Nov 17, 2007.

1. apples017

apples017 LawnSite Member

SO the hustler is underpowerd on hills, yes?
    What happens exactaly? Just can't get up it at all? Or just scooting along at 15mph, go up hill and slow down to what 10mph sort of thing?

Cheers
    Peter

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they seem underpowered on hills, its mainly the large pumps and wheel motors and the fact that 28 hp efi is the most powerful engine (unless you consider the 30 Kohler) you can get. Just not a big enough vertical engine to put on the Super Z. Depending on the size of the hill and thickness of the grass it may come to a crawl. It also makes it difficult to haul a grass catcher. Gene has burnt up several wheel motors with a Z and catcher if I'm not mistaken. He finally got some wheel motors for the ATZ I think that top out at 12 mph and it did much better. I believe that is true. My Hustler dealer said they tried a Hustler Z against a Super Z and the regular Z would out run it up a slope. That statement is from a dealer that tried it. In my area I can out mow the Super Z with my Turf Tiger easily in almost any condition except flat terrain and grass that is not too thick then the Super Z will out run it. But I cut some thick grass! The Super just needs much more power.

3. apples017

tacoma200,

Some of the yards and areas that I might be doing are hilly. Not that many flat open spaces. So having said that I think that the scag might be better, as It seems to be able to cut the thicker stuff good and when cutting thick stuff near creeks etc a heavy deck is more preferable.
    But they say that the grass catcher is not as good on the scag though.

So the Hustler super z is probably the best choice for wide open areas, as the ride is smoother and faster. And the bagger is one of the best. But seeing that hill might really slow it down that is a problem.

Have you ever used a bagger with a SCAG? and what were your thoughts?

Peter

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The Super Z is a great choice for open flat area's especially if your cutting low (3" or Less). Any ZTR that is set up to run 15 mph is going to bog a bit going up hill depending on how steep it is and how thick the grass is. Gene GLS has burnt up several wheel motors on Super Z's on hills so I take him at his word. I don't know who makes a better grass catcher. I know the Scag Velocity will handle a lot thicker grass and has engine options up to 35 hp. It's just a matter of time before Hustler offers some larger engines but there are not many vertical ones for that application right now. I would just demo to see what works for you. It really varies depending on location.

5. apples017

You say the scag will handle a lot thicker grass. I have read that it will twist around the friveshaft? and get into as seal?

Peter

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

apples017,
    If you go with a Hustler mower. A Hustler Z with a 27HP-60" deck and a bac-vac unit would be your best bet. The Hustler Z has smaller wheel motors and more torque for hills and its a bit slower. I belive the 27 HP is the largest engin offered on a Z machine. The Hustler Super Z has large wheel motors and goes fast but not enough torque for hills. Its made for flat mowing,period, and should be advertized as such. If I can be of any help with spacific questions on the Hustler mower , just ask. The Hustler Super Z has been an expensive learning experance for me....The school of hard knocks...I have spent thousands of dollars on mine.

7. apples017

You'd be the bloke that has replaced the drive motors cause they burnt out?

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Thats me, 3 times in 900 hours. Switched over to the ATZ wheel motors and pumps, 1200 hours so far, and still good.

9. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

Gravely 260 Z diesel. If you have the chance to, try one! 40 to 50 degree slopes!(sideways) 15 mph, 2 and a half days on one fuel up! (depending on how thick the grass is) I have two acres that I cut twice a year, once in may and once in august. 4 feet tall. two passes. 1st at 4" second at 2.5" not perfect but bailable.lol I even pulled my truck out of the mud in reverse(side of the road rut)try it out if you have the chance. Gas 260's are good too. and alot cheaper gas $8500 diesel about $11,000

10. apples017

Gene,

What causes them to burn out? Just continoius use? What are you cutting, the side of Mt Everest? Have you got any pics of what you have been cutting that causes premature wear?

So the other wheel motor are stronger and last now, but what about your top end speed. Is it still 15mph?

What has you cut quality been like?

Cheers
    Peter
    Australia