Hustler Super Z Back Fire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Oct 18, 2004.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I am having problems with the engine back firing when it it shut down. It also seems like sometimes when I turn it off it sounds like it is going off then kicks back in for a second then goes off. Its either a 27 or 28hp kohler and has 55 hours on it.

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

That is absolutely normal for the kohler engines. We have 2 that do that all the time. All you would have to do to stop that is cut it off about half throttle and it wouldn't do that.

3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks that fixed the problem of it wanting to kick back in, but it still back fires. It sounds like a gun going off when I shut it down.

4. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I have a Kohler on my 44" Toro and it did the same thing. What I do now is let it cool down for a couple of minutes on low throttle while I am trimming. Never backfires after a cool down. Hope that helps.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Shut the unit off at full throttle...works on all ours.

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why should you have to let it cool down???? This is a problem with the 27HP Kohler on my Hustler Super Z also. I consider it a design flaw. I think it's beyond belief that a company as large as Kohler could let this be such a problem with their engines. EVERYONE knows that Kohlers have this problem. Why can't they fix the problem. I don't know about you, but I'm not wasting my time or gasoline for the thing to cool down. If it blows up let them replace it under warranty. All I know is that Kawis DON'T have this problem. It's really embarassing to to have to stop the mower to talk with a customer that comes out to ask a question about their property. I just tell them that my $8000.00 mower is suposed to go "boom" when I shut it down.

7. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

I've found that reducing my throttle to its lowest level and letting it "idle" for 5-10 secs before turning it off has stopped the backfire 95%. Every once in a while it still pops. BTW its a 27Koh on a SuperZ. I too had another Koh, a 20HP on a Toro Hydrowalk that did the same thing and the "idle down" helped it too!

8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Well, the Super Zs we have with the 25hp Kaws on them also do this... backfire at shutdown that is... no run on

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have an owners manual . READ IT. The larger HP engines all say to not cut the ignition off at less than 1/2 throttle. Kohler. Kaw, Honda. Its because of the electric fuel cut off valve in the carb. :blob3: :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

10. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

When shutting the engine off with a fuel shut off solenoid on the carb, leave the throttle WIDE OPEN.