Hustler Super Z Blade Bolts Breaking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by jay_mc1, May 15, 2012.

1. we have broke some on our 72 also, just seems to be the 72's. get in a funny spot and it'll snap off. hustler does have a washer coned deal now that protects the head that does help.

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i've hit some things and either the belt will slip or if it's something that stops the blade from rotating it just makes the engine die and you have to untangle or remove the object and start the mower back up.

3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I've never broken any of the bolts on my super Z. Could be a torque issue when putting them on or taking them off. Isn't 1 of those going to be left handed if its a rear discharge machine?

4. it's only on the 72" mowers. where the problem is.

5. eellc

eellc LawnSite Member

I have two 72" super z that I have had for 3 months. One rear discharge and one side discharge. We have broken about 10 per mower. Hustler has replaced the spindles and we have only had 2 breaks since, it’s been about a two weeks. We have 6 older super z 60" cuts and have never broke one. Funny, I literally just got a call while typing this that another one broke. Maybe I spoke too soon.

6. jay_mc1

jay_mc1 LawnSite Member

Eellc,
    I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem. Did hustler replace the spindles under warranty? Did they happen to say what was different about the new spindles?

7. eellc

eellc LawnSite Member

Yes they did replace them under warranty. The distributer in Florida did not say what the problem was just that I was not the only person with the problem. The two 2012 models do have a lot more torch than my older models. I had my order with smaller engines 31 hp Kawi. I have had some other issues. I had them in the shop more than I have had them cutting grass. I’m very disappointed with the response on them. I had one in the shop for two weeks before they sent replacement spindles. I have bought five hustlers this year and I think I’m done with them. My orders next year will be a different brand.

8. the part that ticked me off was Hustler saying there was no problem, yeah sure.

9. eellc

eellc LawnSite Member

yeah my issue is the response more than anyting.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Never, in over 30 years of mowing have I broke a blade bolt.

I've had my SuperZ TOP spindle nut come loose, dropping the entire blade and spindle shaft into the grass! <----Horrible design BTW

Wonder if this is why eXmark went with the splined blade adapter?