1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Super Z Burning Grass

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by chevybogger, Jun 24, 2013.

1. chevybogger

chevybogger LawnSite Member

I know this may be an old topic but it is my first post and first issue with my hustler. I have a 2008 Hustler Super Z 66 w/ the Kohler Command Pro 30 hp engine. I just planted some new bermuda turf grass and mowed it the first time with the hustler. I noticed that in the 3 or 4 places that I stopped for less than 1 minute I left a burned / now dead spot on the grass. I have read that there are heat shields available? Is this a recall that hustler fixes on their dime? If not is there a place online for me to buy it since the closest hustler dealer is quite a ways from where I am located? Also does anyone have a pic of what it looks like mounted on the mower? Good, bads?
    THANKS for your time!
  2. chevybogger

chevybogger LawnSite Member

Anyone have this on their mower?
  3. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

I checked with the engineers and there was nothing built for the Super Z back then in the way of a shield. There is a heat shield for our new X1 that I can send you a drawing, just shoot me a email and I'll try to copy and paste it.

Brian O
  4. Turning tall grass short

Turning tall grass short LawnSite Member

I had a exmark turf tracer that would burn the grass everytime I emptied the bag. It didn't matter where the idle was. The flywheel pushed air across the header and the in-between the deck and engine section. It was maybe 3 inches wide but boy did it do a number. I took a piece of sheet metal and riveted it to the unit under the manifold. no more burnt grass! cost $1.50 with no engineering degree.

How bout them Blackhawks!

5. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Is your scalp wheel melting??
  6. BonesMalone

BonesMalone LawnSite Member

I have a 2010 Super Z with Kohler 30 HP engine and it will burn grass in less than 1 min. It does not help if you lower the rpm. Nobody seems to know about a heat shield available. If you get off the mower to open a gate next week that spot will look like you spill 2 gals of gas on the grass.
  7. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

It's from the drainhole in the bottom of the muffler. Take a piece of sheet metal and zip screw it to the engind deck under the muffler. Problem gone.
  8. jcbahr

jcbahr LawnSite Member

I ordered and installed a heat shield on my Super Z a few years back and it stopped round burn spots on customer's lawns.