Hustler Super Z diesel or Cub M72 Tank diesel?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by atozauctions, Mar 28, 2006.

1. atozauctions

atozauctions LawnSite Member

I am curious to hear from those who have been out and used either of these units (though Im not sure how many people have been able to use the diesel Cub yet).
    I am trying to find out which would be the best best between these two units.
    I can get the Cub Tank M72 with 28hp Cat diesel for around $11500. I have not been given a price yet on the Hustler with the 32hp Cat, other than I know it will be more.

If you had to choose, which would you go with and why? thanks for your input!

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We have a two 60" Cub Tanks and a 72". great mowers!!!!!! I bet with the new Cat Diesel it will be even better:cool2: :cool2:

3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

The Cat diesel is noticeably louder that a Kubota diesel - and not as effecient on fuel. I personally think that $11,000 + for either of the machines you spoke of is way too much to pay. Currently, you can get a Kubota ZD28 with 72" Prodeck for around $10,000. The 3 cylinder Kubota diesel is a favorite for other ZTR manufacturers because of the durability that has been around for a long time. :usflag:

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Go look at the wheel base on the Cub and the Hustler.
    That will settle that comparison instantly.
    I like Hustler but their diesel model has excessive wheelbase.

Another good diesel unit to look at is the Grasshopper midmount (M-1)
    They also feature the Kubota diesel.

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Check out the JD 997 - Yanmar diesel - 7 iron deck - May cost a bit more to join the club, but the dues thereafter are pretty cheap.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

What he said. The 997 is a tank itself, cost really is not that much more.

7. grassbandit

grassbandit LawnSite Member

I am a big hustler fan, based on their smooth ride, controls, and reliability, but I would'nt be opposed to looking at the Kubota. They seem like really great machines.

8. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

Awesome machine!Definetly 1st choice in my book.I would agree that the
    kubota is very smooth,but the Hustler is overall heavier built.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought my second Kubota ZD28. $12250.00 and that was a good price.
    My Kubota dealer also is a Hustler dealer, I have a Hustler walk behind, great mower. Last years Hustler diesel had a lot of problems. my dealer sold two of them and the factory ended up buying them back from the owners. So now he wont stock the Hustler diesels. The Cat engines were literaly shaking the machines apart.:laugh: Among other problems. And the Hustler diesel is close to $15000.:dizzy:

10. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't looked at the Tank diesel, but I have looked at the Hustler diesel. The deck is driven by a hydralic motor. Looks to be heavy built, however I heard a rumor somewhere that the diesel engine was cracking the frame. Don't know how true that is. I also demo'd the 997 Deere. Nice machine. Would look good setting on the trailer with My 4700 tractor. Sets a little too high for my properties.(hilly and lots of trees) I have also looked at the grasshopper 428 and kubota zd-28. The kubota was noticably slower than what I'm use to, and I didn't like the hydralic deck lift. The grasshopper wasn't too bad, but is lighter built than the hustler. I liked the Dixie diesel I demo'd but not the dealer.To sum it up I'll just keep my Sabre tooth until somebody makes one better.