Hustler Super Z Double Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John Gamba, Aug 18, 2002.

1. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Has anybody Put double Blades On a Hustler Z Or super Z 60" Deck.

If so how was the Blowout, And cut Quality. And i Mow in connecticut.

Thank's John.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

John,
    I know of a couple of guys that did this last year in leaf season and this year in the spring.
    They tell me they used a gator up top and a standard Hustler Z blade on bottom (the standard blade is a high lift).
    They had no complaints about blowout, one guy complained in wet grass that the gator mulchers were shredding the grass to much, I advised him to run a flat regular blade up top and the high lift on the bottom, I have never heard back from him.
    I am assuming it worked good.

Hope this helps
    Pj

P.S.
    Where are you in Ct ?

3. John Gamba

from ct

Hi PJ
    I Know jim At Bachler
    I Just Seen The Mower It look's Like If I Put a flat high Lift On the bottom It Look's like All the blade's will cut On the same height. It also seem's That It wount affeck The blow out that much. Ie Being Lower then the deck. Like on My Lazer EPS. I Know about the gater's in wet And this spring It Was wet And the Grass Was growing the Doubles worked Very good. Two high Lifts Is what i Used.

What Is The Blade size On the 60' Deck Center hole size And Length.

And I Hope You go With The FI Kohler's they been very good so Far.

Thank you john gamba Lawnone Ct

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Super Z blade is a high lift blade (42 degrees)
    The measurement is 21" long by 3" wide.
    The center hole is 5/8.
    we use a 5/8-11 X 1.25 grade 5 bolt.
    The blade part # is 782516
    The gator blade Hustler part # is 782557

I was just at Bacher's Thursday, I will PM you next time I am going to be there, maybe we can do a demo for ya.

Later
    Pj

5. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I run doubles on my super z and it makes a world of difference in cut quality (it cuts great with the singles but it is untouchable in cut quality once you install doubles). I use the bobcat 21 highlift offset blades on the top and bottom, these blades are identical to the standard hustler blades except they are lighter and not as wide. I have no blowout problems and it really throws the grass well. I have tried using the gator on top but it didn't throw the grass as well (it through the grass well but it had clumps in it). If you are using a bagger with your hustler I would recommend that you use single blades because it really puts a strain on your clutch due to the system being tied into the pulley. Running doubles on this mower really shows how impressive this mower is and I will guarantee you that if you are happy with your mower while running singles you will be even happier once you see the true potential of this mower.

6. John Gamba

from ct

PJ
    I Will talk To Jim Thursday. I'm Very Interested in your mower with doubles On It. Even If It work's Very Well I Still whant The Kohler FI On It.

Thank You very much. Oh Jim Is a very nice Person you Have Representing Your Mowers.

John

P&J
    I Have Run doubles On my lazer this Past Spring In Heavy Weter Bluegrass and was Vwery impressed With It ( I'v Never Mowed Like that Before). But i'd like To Keep Them on all The time. Thank you For Your Post . Oh i Run trac Vac's with Gas Engine. No Power loss.

John at lawnone

7. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

I have the 52" Suoer Z and was wondering how you et up for doubles? Do I need to get a longer blade bolt? And how do you keep a + patteren while tighting the bolt? thanks!

8. John Gamba

from ct

Just hold The Blades in a Cross Pattern Hit it with the Impact gun.

For Longer bolt I Don't Know On The hustler You Can do it On The lazer.

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'm running doubles on both my 48 and 54 WB's without blowout problems. I'm sure the deck design is the same from the WB's to the Z, Hustler know decks;)

10. John Gamba

from ct

Do You have Offset Blades On The wb Deck's. John