Hustler Super Z hydro overhaul ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Feb 21, 2009.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've read several posts about people having hydro/wheel motor problems with their Super Z (myself included). Someone stated the 21cc pumps may cause overheating. Could the 21cc pumps be replaced with 16cc pumps for more torque, less groundspeed, lower temps and less problems.

2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

What problems are you having?

3. HenryB

Serious lack of torque, bogs in high grass and burnt up wheeel motors:cry:

4. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

Hey, we replaced a pump and a wheel motor with just a lil over 1000 hours, I will never buy Hustler again. Good luck, I'll watch the post for response, but poor dealer support and I think we got taken on the wheel motor replacement.

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Tell me what size engine you are running and I will explain what is happening to your hydraulics.

6. HenryB

I've had 2 1st 24hp Honda 2nd 27hp Kohler. I really loved both of them just too many issues. I also think the 21cc hydros overwork the engine hence why I'd like to to see 16cc used.

7. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

25 HP Kaw, Super Mini Z

8. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are those Parker wheel motors or Hydrogear wheel motors? Both sides weak? What do you mean ''Burnt up"?
    I've seen quite a few problems with Hydrogear motors , but the Parkers are close to bullet proof.

9. HenryB

Pumps are hydrogear the wheel motors are White.

10. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

The short answer to your question is absolutely yes.

It's not a direct drop in though. The PW (21cc) pump is physically larger than the PR (16cc) PR pump. The mounting flange on the 21cc is larger than the 16cc. The swap would require some fabrication work.

Q