Hustler Super Z/mini super (Kohler or Kawasaki??)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by High Humidity, Jun 30, 2005.

1. High Humidity

High Humidity LawnSite Member

I am trying to decide between the Hustler Super with the 25 Kaw. or 27 Kohler. Any preference from you pro's? I'm leaning toward the Kaw. 25. One local dealer will let me have it for $7295.00. How's that for price? Thanks for the help. :help:

2. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

get the kawasaki

3. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I bought the super mini with the 25 kawi. I have to be cutting 12+ inches to bog the mower down. I cut some 6ft tall weeds (yes 6ft that is not a typo) with this machine. 400 hours no problems knock on wood. I took advantage of the rebates and got my super mini for 6500, but with inflation I'd probably would have been around that price.

I have not demoed a 52" super z but would be interested due to the thicker deck, larger tires( mine has the 22") and the extra 2mph. Although 13mph feels pretty darn fast, half of my yards are within 500 yards of my house and 15 would be great.

Overall I love this machine. It's quick, responsive and not physically imposing to customers that don't want a giant ZTR on their lawn. I use a cyclone rake with good results during leaf season. I would however, switch the factory blades with whatever model you end up with ( they suck) to high lifts or some combination of doubles. I run highlifts under gators. Keep your deck clean and happy cutting.

I'm sorry I have been rambling but have found too much info is better than not enough. Hopefully I have been helpful and someone else can tell you about the 27 Koh.

4. High Humidity

CutterLLC, thanks for the insight. I had a chance at the rebates also, but waited too long. Appreciate the blade help also.

5. High Humidity

Thanks for the help, By the way, is the Sub base still open in Groton?

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Man!!! I'd love a chance at a Super Z for $7295!!!
    My dealer wanted an additional grand over that AFTER the $1,500 rebate.

....which is WHY I will not be getting a Hustler tomorrow.

Now on to the 25 Kaw v/s 27 Koh....
    I like and dislike things about both engines and I really don't think it matters that much.
    I feel they are close enough to the same that I'd personally probably just go with the 25 Kaw on the Hustler due to the fact the oil dipstick is in a better location at the rear of the machine the way Hustler mounts them. The Kohler dipstick is on the other side and not in as good a location.... yeah that's how close I feel they are.

Or I'd go with what's cheaper or in stock...

7. High Humidity

Envy,thanks for the opine. And on the cost problem, I say just roll on down here to Florida and pick one up, and if sharks don't scare you I'll loan you one of my boards and surf a few waves. thanks again.
    Surf Man

8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

With the Kaw engine issues I have had over the past few years, and the lack of longevity, according to my dealer, I personally am sticking to Kohlor from now on. Good luck

9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently have the 27 Kohler on my Super Z w/52" deck but had a 25 Kawi on my last mower (Sentar 61" deck). Of the 2 I'd reccomend the Kawi because to me it has much more torque. I don't care what the spec sheets say, the Kawi has more guts to it. I've had no issues with the Kohler other than replacing the coils at around 300 hrs. I now have close to 600 hrs on the machine.

10. Hans-Ulrich

Hans-Ulrich LawnSite Member

I'd pay a couple hundred more and get the Honda24. Like me!