Hustler Super-Z Muffler cracked

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Apr 29, 2008.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just under the 2 year warranty, my muffler on my Super-Z (28hp EFI Kohler) cracked where it slips on the header.

Any other Hustler Z owners out there have this happen? I know why it happened, but don't know what I can do to prevent this from happening 2 years from now.

2. ex lawncare retailer

ex lawncare retailer LawnSite Member

I used to see this, but I honestly can't remember if there was a fix...What sux is that parts only have a 90 day warranty after replacement. And mufflers ain't cheap! Go to the Hustler forum and beat PJ up about it. He's big enough to handle it.:laugh:

3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Can it be welded? Had to do that to my Kubota Z.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What a run-around getting this taken care of.

Mechanic couldn't get muffler off head pipe.....Needed a head pipe too.

Mechanic couldn't get O2 sensor out of muffler w/o stripping all the threads off....Distributor didn't have one (said they listed for $250???) so they called up NAPA and had one delivered later in the day. It looks to be a direct match.

Runs fine. LOTS quieter....maybe it was cracked for a while?

Kawi powered Z's have a second bracket to the valve cover bolts. Looks much stronger than the single bracket Kohler type.

All in all, lost 3/4 of a day and just got in now!

5. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

Was this all covered under warranty? I was just wandering why the mechanic told you the price if it all should be covered. Or did they make you pay for the parts that they could not remove?

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't I just ask you about that muffler about 5 weeks ago?

7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I bet that ate up all your savings on fuel and then some. I have never been a fan of the EFI. I will stick with carbs, no O2 sensors no computer to pop because of dead battery or wet conditions etc.

8. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

PS
    By what I said i meant the idea of spending more money on an EFI to get better fuel efficiency only to have all the high dollar parts go south and need replacing which means even more moeny etc etc.

9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

??????The muffler on the 28 is probably the same as the muffler on the 27; they both cost "moeny"... and mufflers are long term maintenance items.

If anything, the muffler on the 28 will last longer because (1) the 28 runs with less vibration which causes cracks etc (2) the exhaust is cleaner resulting in less corrosive gases in the muffler.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but you are waay off if you think the 28EFI is worse *in any way* (otherr than initial cost) than a carbed engine. Fuel costs are not the only savings, either!

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, all under warranty. Only thing I lost was 3/4 of the day. The warranty runs out in June.