Hustler Super Z - problems with model

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by greenology, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

The Pupster is on the attack. :)

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This is what an uninformed person that has no dog in the weight and longer wheel base mower rides better fight had to say. This means someone that has no idea if a heavier mower with a longer wheel base should ride better or not said it did ride better based on his unbiased opinion, so much better he did not want to recognize the comparison.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Just a suggestion from an outside observer. Especially since I used to be one of the guys out there mowing regularly.

If you don't want guys attempting to mow at 15 MPH, then don't allow the blades to be engaged at that speed. Like the Toro Groundsmasters, make it a 2 speed transmission.

I can guarantee that mowing guys will do their best to mow at that speed. Not saying this is the case with the OP, but I'm sure there are guys out there doing it.

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

If I was drinking a coffee, I would of spat it over the computer screen! Ouch! :laugh:

5. Realslowww

There are alot of variables here and opinion is #1 and design perameters are another from machine to machine but one fact is for sure if you add more weight to a machine and start running over obstacles at a clip you will feel it more all things being equal.

No matter what Puppy ownes it is the best of the best, we heard his 66 was a special 66 that Hustler specd perfectly just for Puppy and we have already started to hear the same thing about his 72.

Hey Pupster are you on the Excel payroll or something? :laugh:

6. Mickhippy

Dont worry mate, this comment would of made it come through my nose!

Had a good laugh at the pair of you!:laugh:

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

As soon as I read that line, I knew a lot of us would be quoting you and highlighting that particular line. I have been saying that same thing for a very long time, and my opinion was based off of doing some simple math to arrive at that conclusion. I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

I agree with Mark Oomkes on making the deck only able to be engaged at whatever speed you determine to be appropriate below full tranport speed to avoid any confusion (and maybe save on some warranty issues from the harsh beating that will happen to many machines run on rough ground at that speed). If it is there to try at full sticks, anyone who gets the chance will.

8. Realslowww

More than likely the smoothness of the 72 if it was the new style Super was because the added weight is loading the drive better and slowing it down a little, your problem could be the stiffer chasses is transmitting more energy to the deck by not flexing and slinging it up. The 72 deck being heavier stays glued better to the frame but on the riding chasses itself you do not want it be glued to the rough terrain you want it to skim over it at speed that is what will make a lighter machine ride better rather than a heavy one that rides down in the ruts.

It is all application dependent but for going fast comfortably over rough choppy terrain weight and a stiff frame suck! you just need good suspenders to compensate.

9. Mickhippy

Sorry guys but the SZ is capable of mowing at full stick. Just need the right conditions, ie short dry grass and a smooth surface. That said, the grass I cut is pretty dense like bermuda so not really worried about vacuum etc.

10. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I mowed at full stuck a couple times today but only because it was very smooth. Most of the time I'm at half or less.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.