Hustler Super Z - problems with model

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by greenology, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

Boy that drive is definitely stout to do that, poor mower!

What is it with these guy's and there super mower's then they put a girly deck on it that cut's as wide as a G string. :laugh:

2. Realslowww

Which mower do you like best?

3. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

The seat was set at the top, that im sure about, so im not sure why its bouncing more than you would expect. I can say that I notice the seat is a lot firmer when I set it to the highest as you would expect. Anyway I have today set it to 10kg above my weight as MickHippy has suggested. Also moved the back rest all the way back which has helped, most of the time on the hustler i dont lean on the backrest though.

The point about the 15 MPH is Im getting a lot of comments from not just on her but hustler rep & dealers telling me I shouldnt be cutting at 15 MPH and expect a good ride, it really goes without saying... but yet ppl continue to mention it. Maybe not yourself though. :)

I will buy a low pressure guage asap and make sure I get the tires down to 8 PSI, this has got to soak up a certain percentage of the bumps off coarse.

The ground im mowing in there has always been this rough, not sure why its possibly from water run off over time. But keeping in mind that this is not the only lawn with bumps, 90 % of my lawns have them and the mower will react in the same way on those lawns also, just on other lawns there is a good break in between rough sections.

I must admit my only reason for coming on this forum was to find out whether there was other people having the same issues as me, but it was a little frustrating to find out no one else seems to have the problem. However i certainly do appreciate the time ppl are goign to giving me tips etc so I am more than happy to now take it all on board and continue trying to adapt to the mower. This is off coarse the best scenario for me, i definately dont want to lose moner selling the mower and I dont want to continue using it whereby it makes me nasueas, so ill do as much as I can so I can get to a point where im a happy hustler client.

4. greenology

In the video with my back not on backrest, this was taken on a much smoother lawn, I didnt actually take a video of that on the same property which I should have! Taking my back of the seat rest is a help for sure, but doesnt fix it maybe 50% better. Also I end up with a sore lower back at times as some lawns are rough for a large percentage of the time, I guess all I can do is think back to my old mower where I never had to do that, and buying this hustler i expected a smoother ride, even tho i may need to accept this is the case it is still upsetting.

I will measure the springs tonight, im going to back them off all the way so no adjustment is left, hiopefully it will improve enough. if not then I will enquire with dealer about shortening springs, or buying some smaller.

Today I went back to the lawn which the videos are in, I honestly tried more than once to go over the same bumps without hands on levers, also with hands low on levers, it didnt help the hydros still seem to do their thing whether my hands are on them or not. I realise in the video I was moving the hydro leavers with my arms during the jerky movements, but this was an extreme case, when im out moving all day im obviously not bucking around to this extent all day, so im not moving levers with my arms, that comes from experience. but i do get the uncomfortable jerkyness even at very slow speeds.

I would definately like to get the old dixon out to the property and do a side by side comparison, I will do when I am able to but its a difficult task so not too sure how soon. In the mean time I am confident in myself that im not goign as fast or atleast no faster over these bumps than I did on the dixon. In fact while the hustler was in the dealers that lawn was due for a cut, so I had to take the old dixon out there and in comparison just didnt have a bad ride at all. I get the up and down bouncing like crazy over those ruts, but never have any jerkyness on the dixon. Anyway taking on board al your suggestions, so will see what I can come up with. I can try going a different angle on that lawn, but as I say I am getting the rough ride on all of my lawns not just this one and changing angles will not help in all situations.

5. greenology

The deck springs had 1/2 inch of adjustment left on them, so I have backed them off completely & no adjustment is left now. I think I have tried this before the dealer re-set the whole deck and from memory it didnt help, but tomorrow I will see if theres any difference.

6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Half an inch isnt much.
    I just had a brilliant idea, if I do say so myself.
    Instead of cutting the spring, get some small straps like cheap ratchet straps, feed it through the spring at one (near the) end, feed it down the length of the spring and back out near the other end, lower the deck as far as possible, an inch or more lower than your usual cut height for example. That will compress the spring. Pull the straps as tight as possible and tie ends together. Raise deck to normal height and the springs shouldnt touch the stops. The straps should hold the springs compressed. No need for cutting shorter or messing with deck level etc. Only cost a few $ to try anyway!

Failing that, not sure how but could you add some weight to the deck, a few bricks or something? Just for testing. You could bolt something on later if it helps.

I think the jerking is just something youll have to get used to. Im really doubtful that the drive is faulty. That said, maybe the dampeners are bad. Doubtful both are though.
    I really think if you get your body motion sorted, youll sort the jerking.

Put a few more hours on the machine with the backrest angled away and see how you go. Its about all you'll be able to do in the end.

7. Realslowww

You will get used to the drive, the drive is just so powerful that any input creates a big responce.

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have no problem seeing exactly what is causing the bouncing, and it is definitely coming from the washboard effect of the ruts which came from water washing soil away over the years. I could also see immediately you were running nowhere close to the Super Z's top speed, if running over the ruts at that speed you would be leaving the seat if not strapped in very tightly.

The one thing I do have a problem with is you saying you have cut this same property on a previously owed ztr at 13 mph without seeing the bouncing you are experiencing with the Super Z. That my friend is not possible, my new longer wheel base Super Z would not ride smoothly over this ground, but much better than a shorter wheel base ztr equipped with only a suspension seat.

Think of this ground in terms of water you are riding across in a boat, the chop on water which has the peaks of its waves spaced out at a certain distance may be extremely rough riding in, lets say an 18' boat. You can take the same boat and add only 3' to its length making it a 21' boat, which in return will allow the boat to reach across, and stay on top of the waves making for a much smoother ride. The reason I use this illustration comes from many years of operating boats in size from 10' to 52'... the shorter, lighter boat will beat your brains out, while the heavier, longer boat gives a much superior ride. Weight and length is the part of the equation that makes basically anything ride better.

9. Realslowww

I just had a conversation with a dealer who sells alot of these and he said he has had a few complaints about the ride from guy's who own both the XR7 and new Super, he said the complaint came from guy's who own like 30 or 40 Super Z's so he took note.

It seems to be flex forks are the norm on these mowers and that was the cure he told me.

Puppy you are wrong about added weight helping the ride, it's your enemy and a stiffer more heavily built frame will add to it,and added weight on hills will cause the mower to slide down more not give more traction.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have no problem agreeing to disagree with you...I've been on entirely too much light equipment versus heavy equipment to ever believe lighter weight promotes a better ride. As a matter of fact, given the size of a lighter weight truck versus the heavier GMC Yukon XL I drive, which would you assume rides best, give me your honest answer and why you answer this way? Remember, we are not talking about traction and slope handling capability, we are talking only about ride and comfort.

I don't care how many people you talk to that tells you this, and tells you that, including "greenology" with his video, the new-style Hustler Super Z with its heavier weight and longer wheel base rides and operates extremely well, and better than the lighter, shorter wheel base older style model Super Z.

The people the guy spoke of owning 30 or 40 Super Z mowers have no idea how they ride period, much less day-in and day-out/

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.