Hustler Super Z PTO clutch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by duraleigh, Mar 7, 2011.

1. duraleigh

duraleigh LawnSite Member

The clutch engages fine when mower is first started up. After running for an hour or so and warming up, clutch will not re-engage if you release it.

1. Local maintenance shop says almost surely the clutch is going bad and should be replaced. Does that sound reasonable? (It does to me, but I've never had one go out before and am not sure why it won't re-engage because of being warmed up)

2. Is that an easy DIY job or a little difficult for someone with very average mechanical skills and facilities?

2. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

I would agree with the shop as that is most likely your problem. Yes you can replace the clutch if you have a torq wrench without much problem. it is removing a bolt replacing the clutch and putting the bolt back in, then putting the belt back on.

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I would firstly replace the fuse and check the switch for dirt, maybe even try and new switch. Then I would check the lead/wires that runs to the clutch for cracks. These are all quick, cheap and easy checks!

4. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I agree.

When it's warmed up and the PTO won't engage, you can run a "jumper" wire straight from the battery (or any 12 source on the mower) straight to the PTO and see if it will engage then. If it does engage, you have a bad fuse, wire, switch, or bad connection somewhere. You can then start looking at each individual component (ie: fuse, wires, switch, connections).

You can use a "jumper wire" to jump across the switch to see if that's the problem.

I'm sure you know this, but do all of your checking without the engine running (you'll have to have the ignition switch on to check certain things like checking to see if the PTO will engage without a "jumper" wire). You don't want your hands around the PTO and belts when the engine is running. It can ruin your day in a hurry!

Good luck, Stan

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Contact Hustler this is a common problem they have with the Super Z?

6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Do an internet search on checking Warner clutches or whatever brand you have before replacing the expensive clutch. I was having trouble with mine and tried everything. Finally I tried the relays that are located under the dash panel. I bought one for about $5 and switched out each one. On the second try I found the bad one.

There is also a pigtail that connects to the clutch about 6 inches long that has a diode in it. It goes for about $12.

I would try these cheaper things before dropping big money on the clutch.

7. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

you check the clutch by measuring the resistance across it. Switches tend not to be regular in problems they would be total hit or miss. The diode is most always also a hit or miss or total failure. Heat in my experience is always the clutch.

8. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Last fall while vacumming up huge leaf piles I came back from dumping a load and saw shiny metal disc laying in the lawn. I thought jeez I'm glad I didn't run over that with the blades moving. Stopped to pick it up and it was warm, ut oh. Clutch was in three pieces, Luckily the spacer and key didn't fall out. Ordered new one $250 put in , cake. Just not sure the best way to block crank shaft. Any suggestions? Lasted 950hrs, 3 yrs. I shouldn't have bogged it down so much with thick wet leaves. Next year will pick up half first.

9. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

if it works when not hot its the clutch. when they heat up and dont turn on they are going out you need to replace the clutch and it takes like 10 minutes to do. if you let sit for like 30 min after using it and it works again its for sure the clutch....

10. duraleigh

duraleigh LawnSite Member

First, I am very appreciative of all the replies....Thank You! I think Milo may have helped me narrow it down to the clutch because I forgot to mention that after it warms up and will not engage, I can let it sit (and cool down) for about an hour and it will re-engage.