hustler super Z question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by moremow, Jul 3, 2005.

1. moremow

moremow LawnSite Member
    from roanoke

Test drove a hustler z the other day. The dealer had a pretty good sized yard attatched to the shop where he sold them. I drove it and it handled pretty well except for one thing. When i hit a hole or two in the yard the seat bounced me up a bit,lol. He said the super Z I think had an adjustable seat that i would find more comfortable. I have had some back problems in the past and need all the help i can get. My question is does anyone own a 25 hp Kawasaki Super Z and have any experience with it. I am looking at the 52" deck,,,,,would like the 60 but it wont fit on my trailer,,lol. May dump the trailer and get a bigger one anway before my purchase. He invited me to pick one up and take it to job site for a test mow. If anyone has this latest model would like to have your input before my purchase. thanks in advance,,,
  2. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

My dad works for the state and he is in charge of the garages and he is in charge of a rest stop and he had to purchase a new mower for it. He came home with alot of brochures looking at them and he ended up having the state buy a super Z, they have had it for about a year now with no problems that I know of. Also, I don't think the guy that mows it would be too gentile with it either and its still holding up pretty good.
  3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

The Hustler is good machine. You will not be disappointed. :)
  4. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I have a 04 SUPER Z with a 25 Kawasaki and a 60''deck,very happy with it!It does a real good job mowing and is better than anything I'v seen on hills.As for the supention seat I'm not sure how anybody makes it without one of those.It don't beat you to death like a ZTR without the supention seat.It will be a very wise purchase for you. :waving:
  5. moremow

moremow LawnSite Member
    from roanoke

Is there any preference on the motors,,,either Kawasaki or Kohler,,,I hear the kaw has good tork,,,especially the 25 hp,,,,,,,,,dont plan on mowing anything taller than 8 to 10 inches anyway,,,probably not even that tall. But if i did then seems to me you just set your height of the deck up some and take it slow, and then go back over it at a lower height. From what I understand that Kawasaki is strong motor. Just want to know if there is any difference between the 25 hp Kaw and lets say the 27 hp Kohler. Thanks for everyones input.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

As I told someone else, I don't think it matters between the 25 Kawasaki and the 27 Kohler. I would take the one that was in stock or the cheaper of the two. If the dealer had both in stock for the same price, I'd go with the Kawasaki on the Hustler simply because the oil fill & dipstick would be in the rear due to the way Hustler does the sideways mounting. On the Kohler, the dipstick is on the other side behind the seat.

As for the rest.... do yourself a favor.... bump the trailer for a bigger one.... then get a 60" Super Z.... or some 60" cut with a suspension seat. You'll thank me later.

I just added a new 25hp Kawasaki 60" ZTR to the lineup.
    The productivity and trim ablity is amazing.
    It's really remarkable. I gotta find more work!
  7. High Humidity

High Humidity LawnSite Member

I'd say get the super z, if just for the weight adjustable seat, also the pumps and wheel motors are bigger. I just bought mine yesterday. Unfortunately, I have not cut with it yet, just rode around a bit. Rides like a dream though. And yes it has a Kaw 25, the engine I felt most sure about. I did many hours of research on ztr's and that's how I settled on the Hustler line, also the dealer is 3 blocks from my door. Hope this helps.
  8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Super MINI Z with 25 hp Kawa and 52" deck. No problems so far except I had the RED knob switch that engages the blades replaced. Still under warranty and it was under $15 if I had to buy it.

Make sure you get the Super Mini or Super Z with the springs in the seat and it adjusts with the knob for your weight. It will improve the ride 1000% bouncing around on a rough yard. The 60" may be overkill if you are mainly using it for residential lawns. To me the wider the deck the more change to scalp a bumpy yard.
  9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Super Z with a 52" deck and the 27hp Kohler. If I had to do it over again I'd of got the Kawi simply because it feels like it has more torque. Not that the Kohler is a bad engine, it just doesn't feel as strong as the Kawi's I've had on other machines. You'll love the productivity that you'll get from the Super Z. I've been in business for over 15 years and have NEVER had a mower I like better. I've got 600 hrs on mine without so much as a hiccup other than a faulty coil in the Kohler engine. Go get yourself one and enjoy life.