Hustler Super Z Questions

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cbkc, May 16, 2010.

1. cbkc

cbkc LawnSite Member

PJ - I will post a few questions at once so I don't have to send multiple messages. My machine is a 2003 Super Z with a 24hp Honda, 257 Hours.

1.) I'm getting a loud backfire after I shut the engine down and idling at the lowest throttle setting doesn't help prevent this. Also after it warms up and is idling at the lowest throttle setting it gives small back-fires but this only happens after it is warm. Could this be a back-pressure issue because of an old exhaust can? Mine looks very rusty and might have some leaks.

2.) Are the newest light kits available for the 2003 models? I want to add lights but want the new style.

3.) Is there a stripe kit available for the old style non-xr7 deck? (again mine is a 2003 model)

Thanks in advance for helping me out. You do a great job on this forum and represent Hustler well.

Charles

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

1) sounds like your fuel solenoid may not be working anymore, it is the small cylinder looking item that holds your fuel bowl on your carburetor, it is electrical and has a plunger in it to shut off the main jet when you turn your key off, this stops the fuel flow into the main jet and helps prevent backfiring.
    Check the voltage to it when running and when the key is off. if it has voltage to it while running then the problem isn't the wiring or the power to it, it is likely the fuel solenoid itself or debris built up on the plunger inside the carburetor.
    With all that being said... your muffler may need to be replaced also.

2) Yes, the newest LED kit will work on Hustler Z's and Super Z's all the way back to 1999.
    Kit, Light, Hustler Z / Super Z Hustler part # 109081 MSRP $181.00

3) We did offer one up until 2005 / 2006, unfortunately we dont anymore, it was a rubber flap that bolted to the rear frame of the mower, behind the engine.

Hope this helps.

Pj

3. cbkc

cbkc LawnSite Member

PJ - Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that the Honda 24hp engine is new so it makes me think it isn't a fuel bowl issue. What about the carb vent line? Could that cause it? I don't know why the old exhaust can was reused but I should probably start there anyway, I just wasn't sure if an exhaust can leak could cause idling/backfiring issues.

Any recommendations for what I can do for a stripe kit? Any chance the rubber strips are still available somewhere?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would still take a look at the carb bowl, ethanol in the fuel today is causing all kinds of havoc on rubber parts in side of carbs.
    As to the vent line, if your engine is new it shouldn't have a vent line, it should be a internaly vented carb.
    The striping kit may be at a dealer somewhere, I doubt you will find one easily though.
    One thing you can do is is try and buy the parts individually and not as a kit, they may still make the welded bracket and all the pieces.
    The first 4 parts in this list are what you need the rest is std hardware.

365619 Stripe angle 1
    365601 Striper spacer 2
    792184 Striper flap 1
    365627 Striper backstrip 1

767954 FW .406 x .812 x .060 SAE HRD ZN 16
    005116 CS .375-16 x 1.375 HX G5 ZN 8
    054502 NT .375-16 HX G5 ZN 8
    767962 FW .531 x 1.063 x .09 SAE HRD ZN 8
    074252 CS .500-13 x 1.5 HX G5 ZN 4
    008193 NT .500-13 HX G5 ZN 4

5. cbkc

cbkc LawnSite Member

Has anyone else had the same backfire issues with their Super Z or Honda 24hp? I know we have discussed the backfire after shutoff issues but I'm more concerned with the smaller backfires during low idle only after the engine is warm (nothing to do with shutting the engine off). Help!

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

What spec # Honda engine did you have installed? backfiring at lower RPM's is usually a jetting issue in the carb.

Pj

7. cbkc

cbkc LawnSite Member

Not to sound dumb but what do you mean by spec number?

8. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Mines done this since the dealer put the hi-po air filter wing deal on it. They re jetted it too. So I suspect it could be something else besides jets. It actually helps to shut off at like 1/3-1/2 throttle. Don't ask me why.

9. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

I think the distributor for your area still has one in stock. Call your local dealer and have them check.

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The spec # is the version of the model engine you have.
    It lets us know what you have.
    Most of the time the spec # designates if your engine has certain exhaust, air cleaner or crank size differences.
    And of course carburetors, some specs have different carburetors.
    I am wondering if your engine is the correct spec in regards to carburetion.

Pj