Hustler Super Z Smoking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Oct 24, 2004.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Super Z 27hp Kohler that smokes excessively on start-up, it's a thick white smoke. The entire mower and engine only have 56 hours on them. Whats up with this?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Double-triple check your oil level.
    If that's good you could have a short dipstick or a bad block breather valve.

3. stevesmowing

when checking the oil on a 27hp Kohler should you tighten the cap or not to check it. I would look in the manual but I still have not received it from my dealer.

4. 4evergreen

4evergreen LawnSite Member

If oil dipstick smells like gas you could have a bad fuel pump. Happend to me on a new 20 hp kohler.

5. stevesmowing

It only smokes at start up when the engine is cold. Temp outside now is about 50-55.

6. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the oil, if its good take it back and tell them to fix it or stick it.

On my Kohler, if you shut it off at idle it does that, the dealer told me to shut it off at about 1/4-1/3 throttle. If i do i never have a problem.

7. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like to much oil to me.

8. stevesmowing

if the manual is right and you don't tighten the cap to check it then the oil level is just shy of the full mark. Is a short dipstick really possible? Anyone know the length of one for a 27hp kohler?

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

.... and I bet it has SAE30 in it?

Also... Yeah, a short dipstick has been known to surface and an overfilled crankcase is the result. Early in the morning, when it's cold and the oil has all drained down is when you are most likely to get a bit of blow-by which sometimes will clear up as the oil circulates.

10. stevesmowing

I measured the oil dipstick. It is 10 7/8" over all. 10 1/2" to the Add line. And 9 7/8" to the full line. And For clarification you can look at the pictures, I measured from the bottom of the plastic cap. Is there any chance someone else with a 27hp Kohler could see if their numbers match mine. Thanks for the help guys.

CIMG4784 small.jpg

CIMG4790 small.jpg