1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hustler super Z trouble

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rickbocutzya, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Rickbocutzya

Rickbocutzya LawnSite Member

Hello I have a Hustler super Z with a Kaw. engine on it and i cant get it to start with out it cranking for ever and i have to put my hand over the breather
    and then it will run great but it cranks really tight like the battery is not strong
    enough and i ran it for like an hour and tried to start it and it just cranks and cranks and if i leave it alone for a while it might start if i do the same thing i did to get it running the first time just dont know whats up i mean it runs great once i do get it started

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Kawi engins are very fickle. If its not one thing its another. What year is yours? I had to reroute my choke cable to get mine to work free enough to close tight. Sounds like you have the same problem. I also bought a new heavy duty battery every year to help with the cranking. Mine ended up having a short in the wireing harnes and after trail and error I would move the harnes a certain way and it would make contack. Hustler and 25 Kawi's are a very expensive learning experance.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

A couple things....
    Check your choke cable adjustment as mentioned by Gene, you want to make sure it is closing all the way.
    Also check your valve adjustments...
    How many hours are on the engine?
    Have the heads been de-carboned?

Pj

4. CLS LLC

CLS LLC LawnSite Senior Member