1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hustler Super Z vs. Dixie Chopper Xtreme Series

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC, Sep 14, 2004.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, a little confusion and maybe a little false advertising. Someone may be able to shed some light.

Dixie Chopper's slogan "The World's Fastest Lawn Mower." Well Dixie Chopper's fastest mower is the Xtreme Series with at top speed of 15mph.

Hustler's Slogan "Fastest of the Fast." Well Hustler's fastest mower, the Super Z, has a top speed of 15mph too.

I'd have to get my physics book out, but if those numbers are correct then their slogans are false.

Any thoughts?
  2. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

They are both bogus marketing slogans. Of course somewhere there is a mower that runs faster than 15.

Having said that, i've had both, and the hustler seems MUCH more stable at that speed, and a breeze to control. I spend 80% of the time driving with one hand, the other propped up.
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Does it really matter?
  4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Lawn-Scapes, It doesnt matter a whole lot. Just something to think about. I just kind of wanted to find out who makes the fastest mower so I did some research and came across this little issue. Moral of the story is that advertising can be misleading.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Dixie Chopper factory did build a couple of turbine powered mowers that will easily run in excess of 60 mph if that counts.
  6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Richard Martin, Did they cut at that speed too? Also, any reason they made them? or just so they could say they did/could? Pretty cool idea though.
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You are dead on to not believe everything a manufacture claims! All we need now is a Lawnsite party where we can do so racing to find out who really has the fastest mower. :jester:

8. cgotro

cgotro LawnSite Member

Heard the Super Z took the Chopper in a race. We have a Super Z 27 Kohler, Way to much fun to be work. Don't have any problems cutting full open.
  9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have used both Choppers and Hustlers. The Hustler beat me in a race! But they really are not built to mow at 15mph. They have a crappy cut at tops speed and the ride is rough. I also think they are a little less responsive when making turns. The Chopper is definately more productive, but both are great mowers.
  10. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 choppers both are '96 models.I demoed a super z earlier this year.I was impressed with the speed but the cut was terrible.I think it is a well built mower and we are seeing more and more of them around here. Maybe it didn't have enough blade tip speed.It was alittle bumpy too.I don't know what psi the tires had.I haven't found a mower yet that turns as easy as a chopper.